Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Tailors in Bangkok

Posted by jetson on 6/1/2012 at 02:27

Does anyone have experience with this? I want to have some suits tailored suits made when I arrive. I have never been before and have heard this is possible. And a possible starting price point.
I have read some reviews on another site and they are mixed emotions on which place to shop.

thanks

Jetson

#1 jetson has been a member since 3/1/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by goonistik on 6/1/2012 at 06:18

I don't have any experience with BKK tailors. If you can, go to Hong Kong and try the better tailors there like WW Chan.

There are two threads about BKK tailors in other forums that I hope you will find informative.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1207953

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?60438-A-visit-to-Rajawongse&highlight=rajawongse

In the askandy thread, one poster says that Narin couture will make a fully canvassed suit. If that is true, than that would be the first place I would consider.

#2 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by ComeAndGoVietnam on 6/1/2012 at 20:45

Posted from within Vietnam.

I use Crown Tailor at Sukhumvit soi 8 (just on the left near the top of the soi). VERY good service, really friendly guys who take pride in their work and spend a long, long time measuring you up to get the right fit. No touts outside, no hassle, & really good quality clothes. Tell them Tim Russell sent you!

#3 ComeAndGoVietnam has been a member since 17/3/2009. Posts: 24

Posted by phishsticks on 7/1/2012 at 08:12

Tim, whats the going rate for a tailored suit?

#4 phishsticks has been a member since 10/10/2011. Posts: 32

Posted by swag on 7/1/2012 at 17:11

Hi there I have used one tailor in Bangkok numerous times. Have found them to be competetive, great fabric and well made. Raja's International tailors, shop 147 Sukhumvit Rd 11 opposite Nana BTS Station, I can't comment on the price of a suit as I haven't been there for 3 years. They also keep your measurements on file with a piece of fabric of the piece you have had made. I have had shirts, pants and jacket made with only 1 problem that was fixed within a couple of hours.

cheers

#5 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331

Posted by ComeAndGoVietnam on 8/1/2012 at 09:23

Can't remember exactly but I think I got a suit & 3 shirts for less than $250.

#6 ComeAndGoVietnam has been a member since 17/3/2009. Posts: 24

Posted by jetson on 10/1/2012 at 16:49

Thanks guys/gals

Just realized I posted this in Vietnam forum...Must have been drunk, sorry!!!

#7 jetson has been a member since 3/1/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by piterthomas on 8/2/2013 at 03:34

Toms Fashion custom tailors in Bangkok is where most expats, including me, who live here have their clothes made. They have been in business since 1987 and do an excellent job

#8 piterthomas has been a member since 2/1/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by JohnnyCash on 8/2/2013 at 09:42

I have been going to Excelsior in Bangkok for years and have been fully happy with them. Most of the suits bought from them over 10 years are all still in great shape.

Excelsior tailoring entails the personal attention of a cutter who measures the customer, creates and cuts a pattern, and directly supervises the making and fitting of the garment. They also use English finest fabrics and trimmings.

They are located opposite Le Meredien Hotel at Suriwongse Road.

#9 JohnnyCash has been a member since 27/12/2008. Posts: 14

Posted by punx4life on 15/2/2013 at 16:47

Are BKK tailors, or Asian tailors overall for that matter, good at making slim fit clothes?
I can't imagine slim fit suits have caught on over there yet...

#10 punx4life has been a member since 13/2/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by PhiMeow on 16/2/2013 at 00:10

Are BKK tailors, or Asian tailors overall for that matter, good at making slim fit clothes?
Vietnamese tailors always cut a slim fit (it's the norm as most VN people are slim). If you are a regular non slim size you have to make sure you tell them not to make the suit slim! Thailand tailors are used to farangs and they can cope with the full range of fits.

#11 PhiMeow has been a member since 14/2/2013. Posts: 11

Posted by lotushoianhotel on 17/11/2014 at 01:00

In Hoi An with many famous tailor . If you have travelling in here, you walk around ancient town and deal price with tailors . I sure you will have perfect suit

#12 lotushoianhotel has been a member since 31/10/2014. Posts: 15

Posted by tmh0505 on 17/11/2014 at 02:25

In Vietnam with many famous tailor . If you have travelling in here, you walk around and deal price with tailors . I sure you will have perfect

#13 tmh0505 has been a member since 17/11/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by JohnnyCash on 17/11/2014 at 09:49

Been using Excelsior tailor in Bangkok for long time and very happy with them.

Visit my office in NYC regular and measure up my colleagues at barclays.

Value for money and if stopping by at Bangkok should check them out. They offer free hotel pickup service.

#14 JohnnyCash has been a member since 27/12/2008. Posts: 14

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.