Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

in 3 weeks from north to south...a little help with planning

• thronesofbl-
    ood

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2012

hello dear travelfish members

a good friend of mine (21) and i (20) plan to go to vietnam this summer (july). we want to travel from hanoi to ho-chi-minh city in 3 weeks.
    we only want to buy our flights and a travel insurance in advance. everything else (eg. train tickets, trips, hotels, ...) we would like to buy spontaneously when we're actually in vietnam.

our route would roughly look like this:

Hanoi -> Hue -> Hoi An -> Nha Trang -> Mui Ne -> Ho-Chi-Minh City

things we absolutely want to see: the "ha long bay" and the "my son sanctuary".
    everything else would also be visited and planned spontaneously!

since it's our first trip in an asian country, there are a couple of questions we could use a little help:

-how much money will we approximately need for these 3 weeks (we don't need and want 5* hotels and french cuisine...)? we plan to take us-dollars into the county and then change a part of it into dong.
    -do we have to declare the money and electric devices (like my camera) when we come through customs?
    -which inoculations do you recommend to make?
    -eventhough i've seen video footage of the traffic in vietnam and it looks pretty frightening, maybe we still would like to rent a motorcycle when we're there. what kind of driving license would we need in order to rent and drive a motorcycle?

it's very important for us that we behave in a conformist manner when we're in a foreign country so we also have a couple of questions concerning the customs of vietnam:
    -is it usual to tip vietnam?
    -how is it with giving things? with both hands or just with the right one?
    -what's the deal with feet and vietnamese people?

well i think that's enough for today. if you have any additional advice do not hesitate to give it to us...we would be very thankful.

Damian

PS: sorry if my english isn't too proper: i'm swiss ;)

#1 Posted: 7/1/2012 - 09:40

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Your itinerary should include Sapa - an awesome NW mountain community. Backpackers need not tip at all - actually, nobody need tip, but many high rollers insist on this.

Prices are on the rise here, but I think $50. a day (for everything) will do you fine. The large cities will be costlier than the smaller towns. It's actually quite wise to wing it here - certainly no shortage of hotels or guesthouses. I suggest 2* small hotels starting about $20. to $35. Travelfish has very good hotel suggestions, but their prices are out of date in my opinion!

You only need to declare cash when you're bringing in a great deal - over several thousand. I just use my debit card to get Dong at the ATM. They do like USD here, but you will get better value with Dong. Be extremely careful where you carry cash as drive-by slashings do happen in this country (especially in Saigon and Nha Trang).

As to transport, stay off the highways - those long distance open tour buses are terrible and damn dangerous. I like Vietnam Airlines (advance online purchase is cheaper). Summer will be extremely hot everywhere, and on the wet side down South.

Vietnam is a country where you need to do your homework quite well before travel - read the many forums to know all about problems and weather conditions. I keep returning here for one reason - the Vietnamese people are so very nice to me. Talk to the locals (not the people at the hotels) - book Hanoikids and other student tour groups (Saigonhotpot and Danangkids) - you won't be sorry!

#2 Posted: 7/1/2012 - 13:21

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Posted from within Vietnam.

As far as licenses go, I'm pretty sure you need to have an international drivers license ...officially. In reality I seriously doubt most of the tourists on motorbikes here have them. It's also not that difficult to evade the traffic police by simply speeding away from them.

If you were to be pulled over, it's something like a 5 to 10 dollar bribe to get off the hook. Just assume any law official you're dealing with is corrupt and has a price. That's usually how it goes in SE Asia in my experience.

#3 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 07:46

• thronesofbl-
    ood

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2012

hey daawgon and CrankyCarrot

thanks so much for your answers!

@daawgon
    i took Sapa in our planning - it really looks like that it'd a trip that is worth it ;)
    concerning the money: is it true that in most hotels you pay just for the room and it doesn't matter how many people are actually in there?
    we will most likely use (night-)trains since we can save some money by not sleeping in a hotel and also being able to travel quite nicely!

@CrankyCarrot
    thanks for the advice! as i said, we're not shure if we'll actually rent a bike - but it's nice to know that it would be a possibility!

have a nice day

Damian

#4 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 09:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
2 weeks in Thailand in MARCH - 1 wk north and 1 south! Where to go? Help! Leaving in 3 weeks! ... By oberik on 22 Feb 2011 12 5265 28 Feb 2011
Planning 4 weeks backpacking ftom nord to south ... By Stefano1985 on 24 Jan 2012 1 1165 6 Feb 2012
2 weeks in december: north or south (or both)? ... By valentinaforno on 2 Sep 2013 8 1643 18 Sep 2013
3 weeks: from north to south itinerary (and Angkor?) ... By Dimas on 22 Jul 2014 0 41 22 Jul 2014
3 weeks in Laos: 1 for the south and 2 for the north. It is feasible ? ... By vuh on 2 May 2007 4 2415 29 Jun 2007
Two weeks in Laos from North to South, advices? ... By bar002 on 12 Feb 2010 16 2936 18 Feb 2010
3 Weeks South to North over CHRISTMAS period! ... By travellingtom88 on 7 Oct 2013 3 1060 2 Nov 2013
3 weeks starting the 25th December looking for ideas about the North and South ... By ecoldwell on 2 Oct 2008 2 1902 3 Oct 2008