Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Malaria

• greenman

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2007

Hi all I am travelling around Vietnam for some 18 days, and was wondering about malaria protection.

I have been to my doctor’s and the prescription for 29 tablets is around £90 (USD162). Is it wise to wait until I get arrive in Vietnam and purchase over the counter (is it cheaper) if I can or is this stupid and I should get in UK

Thanks

#1 Posted: 5/3/2007 - 15:02

• Advertisement

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Hi Greenman,

Have you tried boots.com, they have an online facility for ordering private prescriptions (I assume that's what you have). Although you don't specify which anti-malarials your gonna get I found Boots to be the cheapest.

The web-page is: https://www.boots.com/pharmacy/online_prescription_process.jsp?

TTFN
    stevie

#2 Posted: 5/3/2007 - 19:34

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Forgot to add that somebody will be along soon to give you advice regarding buying in S.E.Asia as I'm still sat at home...............

#3 Posted: 5/3/2007 - 19:36

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Drug stores / chemists in VietNam are not permitted to sell anti-malarials although travellers are permitted to bring their own supply.

If you are only following the HCMC / SaiGon Ha Noi route there is little need for tablets.

Many, including myself (I reside here), use double-doses of Vitamin B which make human bodies omit an odour that mosquitoes find unpleasant. Humans cannot detect this odour.

To minimise your attraction to the malarial mosquitoes you should wash your feet daily and wear clean socks. Cover your arms and ankles at dawn and dusk, tighten your collar after applying Deet 35% based repellent.

#4 Posted: 5/3/2007 - 22:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.