Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Train Ticket Reservation

• Tukee

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2012

I found this 3rd party reservation site while still away from Vietnam: http://www.vietnam-trains.com/.

I 'm quite paranoid about this because I have once made an accommodation booking years ago to Hosteling International in Mexico City, but when I arrived at the hostel, they say they were not aware of the arrangement and my name was not in the guest listing. I was ripped-off by just about $2 only.

Anybody tried this before or is it legit? Here, they were asking for my credit card number and the payment for the whole fare.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 06:29

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I wouldn't risk it. If you need tickets anytime around Tet, there will be no seats anyway. At other times, you can get tickets from a local travel agent or hotel very easily at the last minute.

What kind of ticket are you buying? Vietnamese trains are somewhat complicated, and an inexperienced traveler should be aware of the options available. Long distance with certain types of fares can be really very bad (been there, done that already!)

#2 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 08:17

• Tukee

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2012

I reckon the same thing, leaning on your side but then I have to wait from the mouths of those with actual experience with this reservation site.

What keeps me is that they need me to pay immediately the whole fare without checking the train company if there are still available seats. What if they come back with negative result?

I'm taking the soft seats for Hue quoted at US$50. There is an extra charge totalling to US62.50 (20% peak seasonal adjustment + credit card charge of US$2.50).

#3 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 15:02

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Posted from within Vietnam.

I used http://www.trainticketdeliver.com/ and had a great experience - so far, I've got the ticket in my hand that was delivered to my hotel yesterday. I actually got bumped out of my original reservation because the central government decided more cheap tickets had to be reserved for locals around Tet (can't blame them). However, this company upgraded me to the next class free of charge. Highly recommended, don't remember the cost of my ticket off the top of my head (paid for it a month ago) but I calculated it out as very reasonable with a small service fee.

#4 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 22:58

• blackrose

Joined Travelfish
    5th July, 2012

Hello , when traveling by train in Vietnam prepare to note the following:
    Order tickets before boarding the train. You can book online for long or at each station.
    Note departure time noted on the ticket.
    Keep your ticket stubs carefully to the end of the trip.
    If you are foreign tourists, you should go with tour guide to be able to make the procedures.
    When booking tickets please make sure online are available from authorized agents of the local railway ticket Vietnam. I usually book online train through this website Vietnam Railways .
    Wish you an enjoyable trip in Vietnam by train , good luck.

#5 Posted: 5/7/2012 - 21:40

• Susan_eyoung

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2012

I think you should book the train ticket before you arrive Vietnam to avoid your plan can be changed. You can book it online through tuntravel.com. I booked with them, paid-in-advance and received the ticket when I am in the hotel. It is easy. They are professional and my trip went smoothly. Thanks for their support. I will use their services for the next trip.

#6 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 21:40

• alenathai181

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2012
    Location Vietnam

If you travel in Vietnam on july and Aug by train you should pre book for this is high season for students have university & college exam so it is very difficult to get ticket.
    When you make prepay ask hotel or any office you book service to reconfirm your paid

#7 Posted: 7/7/2012 - 02:43

• robjones

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2012

When in Vietnam i booked tickets through travel agencies and at the train stations myself. Was a little cheaper at the stations but not by a huge amount, normally saved around $5 each time. Cant see any need to book online in advance if you have a few days in each city before leaving as that should be early enough to ensure you get a seat.

#8 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 06:08

• robjones

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2012

When in Vietnam i booked tickets through travel agencies and at the train stations myself. Was a little cheaper at the stations but not by a huge amount, normally saved around $5 each time. Cant see any need to book online in advance if you have a few days in each city before leaving as that should be early enough to ensure you get a seat.

#9 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 06:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Train ticket reservation ... By FarangFrank on 28 Jun 2014 4 400 1 Jul 2014
Border crossing bus/train ticket online reservation ... By lillalla on 16 Apr 2014 6 937 24 Apr 2014