Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Rach Gia to Pho Quoc

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

Could someone tell me the number and perhaps times of flights from Rach Gia to Pho Quoc? Are there daily flights? Can tickets be purchased from Vietnam Airlines in Phnom Penh? Also, does anyone know if you can hire a car with driver to take you from Phnom Penh to Rach Gia? Many thanks!

#1 Posted: 6/3/2007 - 21:01

• Advertisement

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Hi longleat,

Can't help with the Car & Driver but I think there's a flight every morning from Rach Gia. There's a UK based website for Vietnam Airways (www.vietnamairlines.uk.com) you can check out but I'm pretty sure you'll have no problem getting your tickets in PP.

There's also another website called TKN or TNK Vietnam Travel Corp which looked good a couple of months ago.

TTFN

#2 Posted: 6/3/2007 - 22:02

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There is at least one flight a day from Rach Gia to Phu Quoc -- leaves at around 08:00 from memory -- the flight takes 20 minutes. If you're planning on travelling straight from Saigon to Rach Gia to then fly, you're better off flying direct from Saigon, from where there is at least five flights a day.

Both the Rach Gia and Saigon flights fill up fast as they're just small planes used on the route, so you're best to book as early as possible.

No idea on cost for a car and driver from Saigon to Rach Gia, but any travel agent in Saigon will be able to arrange that.

Yes, you should be able to buy tickets from a VN Airlines office in PP.

I just added some more information to the Phu Quoc section, including coverage of the beaches and suggested motorcycle trips. I've got a map to be added as well -- will get that tomorrow when the internet connection has warmed up a little.

Have fun!

#3 Posted: 6/3/2007 - 22:08

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 32

My my Somtam, that link is SLOWWWWWWWwwwwwwwww............. 8-)

#4 Posted: 6/3/2007 - 22:11

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

Thanks, Steeviej and Somtam2000! I had a first planned to go from Phnom Penh to Saigon and then fly to Phu Quoc from Saigon. Then I thought I might save money if I go directly from Phnom Penh to Rach Gia, fly to Pho Quoc from Rach Gia, and skip Saigon until after Pho Quoc. I thought I read that the flights are cheaper from Rach Gia. But it sounds like a might have to overnight there to get the early morning flight. Any further thoughts or advice? You are such a great source of information. Thanks!!

#5 Posted: 6/3/2007 - 23:01

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 32

We're doing roughly the same as your original routing; PP to Saigon via a few days in the Delta then a rtn flight SGN to PQC. This suits us due to the fact we're flying home from Saigon (via Bangkok).

I suppose a lot depends on your plans after Phu Quoc.

By the way, are you already there or still in the 'Planning Suite' back home.

#6 Posted: 6/3/2007 - 23:11

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

Hi Steviej,

We are still planning. We are definitely going to Saigon after Pho Quoc as we are returning home from there as well. I don't know if the flight from Rach Gia is that much less in cost than from Saigon. We are three traveliing so costs add up. But I don't know if it is worth an inconvenience trying to get to Rach Gia from Phnom Penh. Maybe it is just easier to go through Saigon. Any thoughts?

#7 Posted: 6/3/2007 - 23:27

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Hey up,

We're doing the Saigon way solely for time and convenience. We're looking at catching a boat from PP and cruising down to Chau Doc then mooching across the Delta for up to three days before hitting Saigon; ease of transport wise it seems the logical option plus there are Mekong Delta tours with homestays to be had that go from PP to Saigon; or at least Chau Doc to Saigon.

Although nothing's definite we'll probably be leaving PP around the 9th/10th April.

#8 Posted: 7/3/2007 - 00:59

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The flight from Rach Gia is around 270,000 VND and from Saigon about 500,000D -- so in either case not very expensive.

You will need to overnight in Rach Gia to get either the morning flight or morning boat, though there's often (though not always) an afternoon boat -- and remember boats are very susceptible to poor weather (by that I mean they're cancelled rather than they sink), so if you're short of time, flying is a good option.

map coming soon!

#9 Posted: 7/3/2007 - 06:26

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

Thank you both!

#10 Posted: 7/3/2007 - 07:23

• Advertisement

• TheSnowQueen

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2006

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just returned from a 2nd trip via Rach Gia to Phu Quoc (both times using the SuperDong Ferry which is reliable and reasonably fast - about 2.5 hours. Flight from Phu Quoc to Saigon was around 38 dollars with four flights per day using Vietnam Airlines which you can book directly.

#11 Posted: 13/3/2007 - 21:39

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

For a funny description of water transport between Phu Quoc and the mainland check: < http://haikufactory.com/2007/02/17/adventures-in-asia-part-8-escape-from-phu-quoc/trackback/ >

#12 Posted: 14/3/2007 - 00:54

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 32

That's brill CatBa. Top Travelling if I ever saw it!!! ;-)

#13 Posted: 14/3/2007 - 06:18

• transki

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2007
    Total reviews: 13

Be careful when planning to travel via ferry. We waited in Rach Gia for 3 days because the seas were too high in December, and we never made it to Phu Quoc because of our travel schedule. I regret not booking the flight early!!

#14 Posted: 15/3/2007 - 00:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Rach Gia > Phu Quoc > Phnom Penh ... By danielmelbye on 30 Jul 2007 2 3297 30 Jul 2007
Take motorbike on ferry Rach Gia - Phu Quoc ... By stiginge on 13 Jan 2009 1 3042 14 Jan 2009
Short Mekong DIY Tour HCMC to Rach Gia for Phu Quoc Ferry advice please ... By paulascott on 8 Nov 2011 20 5694 18 Nov 2011