Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

taxis in vietnam

• deco

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2011
    Location Cyprus

Hi everybody!!
    What about the taxi drivers in vietnam? I heard a lot of bad things about them (especially in big cities like HCM,Hanoi, Na trang ).People say that they overcharge tourists or that their taximeters charge too much.i will travel solo and i dont want to rent a bike or a car.What can i do about that? Especially with long distances like airports to the hotels and back?
    Thanks a lot in advance.

#1 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 16:15

• Advertisement

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

When you get to the airport use Mail Linh taxi service. There is a taxi rank to your left as you leave the arrivals area. Mai Linh has announcement in English when you enter the cab. Inmy experience they are the most honest cabs in Saigon.

#2 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 17:17

• deco

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2011
    Location Cyprus

Thanks..but the think is..Is it better to ask them for the price before...or is better to take taxis with taximeter....because in bankok a lot of taxidrivers they didht want to use taximeter.

#3 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 07:51

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Whether in Saigon or Bangkok you should only take taxis that are metered. And don't forget to look and make sure they've turned the meter on!

Good call by NYTim on Mai Linh - it's a big, reputable taxi company, and generally the most honest in my experience as well.

It's true that there are all kinds of scams involving taxis in Saigon and Hanoi. Some metered taxis are "disguised" to look like the bigger companies, and the meters in those cabs charge more money or run more quickly. Many sketchy taxi drivers will also drive you in loops and take you "the long way" to get some extra money.

Unfortunately, there's little you can do to avoid small time scams like that. In my experience, the best thing to do when I know I'm being scammed for what comes out to be no more than a US$ dollar or two is to just cough up the money and forget about it. There's really no point in getting all worked up over such little money, especially if you're not absolutely certain that you're even correct.

In the case that you do find yourself in a taxi (or any other form of transport like a mini bus or shuttle) that's not metered, make absolutely certain to negotiate the price before hand in very, very clear terms. Many drivers in Vietnam will quote unsuspecting tourists at, say, 40,000 dong, but then demand 400,000 upon reaching the destination. This is very common, so make sure you have a good feel for the exchange rate!

#4 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 08:19

• deco

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2011
    Location Cyprus

Thanks DLuek...If it is for one two dorrars is not a problem...but it happen to me in thailand.. i dont want to have every day the same problem if i want to go somewhere..to shout in the middle of the street because somebody beleives that all tourists are rich people ..so they have to pay higher prices..

#5 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 10:37

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

My solution is to avoid cabs as much as possible - I need the exercise anyway, and I enjoy walking. On the rare occasion when I really need a cab, I am very careful to only use Mai Linh. I usually have my hotel meet my flight or train - a nice way to arrive with a welcome sign with one's name on it.

#6 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 12:35

• huemotorrid-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

The best experiences to get taxi in Vietnam. You should ask the Prices before you go . Or check information at receptions where you are staying.

#7 Posted: 4/2/2012 - 05:40

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

I don't completely agree with that. Unless you know what price the taxi should be it's a bit risky to ask the price in advance. The best option is to get a reputable meter taxi - there are plenty of others (in my experience) beyond Mai Linh but to keep it simple, stick with them.The only time I agree a price in advance is if it's late at night, when reputable taxis are in short supply, or early in the morning from the train station, or getting to / from the airport.

#8 Posted: 4/2/2012 - 09:24

• Tecalli

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2012

For reputable taxi companies, asking the price beforehand makes no sense. The price depends on travel time and the distance of your destination.

In Hanoi , I am a huge fan of the Hanoi Taxi Group. They even have a prepaid card that you can buy so you don't have to every worry about having small bills for your taxi ride. When you get to your destination just give the driver the card, he will take his machine and enter the amount and swipe your card and then hand the machine for you to enter your pin number. Very convenient and they give a discount for using the card.

#9 Posted: 4/2/2012 - 13:34

• stevepk

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2012

I highly recommend you should take Mai Linh. It's one of the major taxi companies in Vietnam. Mai Linh is popular in every place in the country. In Hochi Minh city, you have another choice as good as Mai Linh that is Vinasun.

#10 Posted: 29/2/2012 - 08:14

• Advertisement

• angelaschon-
    berg

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2011

Yes, I agree Mai Linh is great! Here are few more taxi tips:
    http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/saigon/2011/04/25/taxi-tips-for-saigon/

#11 Posted: 24/3/2012 - 08:36

• stefanw

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2010

When I was in HCMC I almost always used Vinasun. Not because I didn't want to use Mai Linh it is just that Vinasun taxis seemed to be wherever I looked. Plus they have guys standing in a lot of places that will radio a taxi in for you if you are finding it hard to find a free one (which can happen at night).

Always use the meter. If you use Mai Linh or Vinasun it shouldn't be a problem anyway. I never got the impression that the drivers wanted to rip me off.

#12 Posted: 24/3/2012 - 17:14

• mykhe0607

Joined Travelfish
    25th March, 2012

In Vietnam, you can hire motorbike instead of taxi to save money. In Da Nang, you can have some options for hiring a motorbike to drive to Hoi An, Hai Van pass and Hue. Some addresses: Motorbike Rental in Da Nang, Motorbike for rent in Da Nang.

#13 Posted: 25/3/2012 - 10:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.