Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Tips to avoid scammers in Vietnam

• gonorman

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

OK, here is some guid lines to help you avoid being over charge in Vietnam.

Firstly, let's talk about ' Xe om'

XE OM: (people who are motobike riders who offer to take you from here to there, you are best to avoid all of them, because they like to exaggerate their prices, even to Vietnamese people, not only to you. I don't trust them , I avoid them and you should too. It will never cost you more than $10 to go from this end of the city , to the other end). There are some xeom try to charge you $500 aday, protect yourself.

TAXI: and by, you need to confirm the price first before you jump in the cars/vans, don't ever let them pull you in and they ask for the price later. Even a long road that take aboug 2 hours of driving will NOT cost you more than $20 to hire the whole taxi, some times , they ask each of you to pay $20 for each person (to sit in a bus with 50 people), never let this happen, this is NOT the price in Vietnam.

HOTEL: An OK place will never more than $15 a night. Unless it is a very luxury place.

Ferry and yatch, to travel to island, i should not cost you more than 150,000 VND on way for a ticket and 300,000 tickets, it happens a lot that they make you pay 300,000 VND to have just one ticket.

Wherever you walk out of an airport, boat, ferry, there are always a group of people who standing their away, they are standing their because it is their full time jobs, they are their to make money, not make friends. Those people are not able to speak much English, and the only words they can speak are about the price, they are their to make money.

There are wonderful Vietanamese people, but wonderful educated people will be students, or have proper jobs to work in offices, NOT to stand searching for people in harbour, ferry, airport, or drive taxi, so it they can't speak a good level of English, they are often not educated, and the chances are they are there to make money from you.

The best advice is you need to make friends with some local students who are real Vietnamese, are are educated people, whose parents tauch them not to lie, not to cheat, those who go to uni. The people who are not standing there everyday to make money, for the thrist of bringing their English closers to perfection, they will be with you for a good reason, will be also with you on your way and help you to negotiate the prices, and help you to translate.

If you have more questions to ask for your own case, I'm more than happy to provide advise, I have been living in Vietnam for nearly 5 years, and i'm sure I know little or much, and I myself get scammed quite enough of time, to give you some directions to avoid it

my email go.norman [aatttt] hotmail.com

--

#1 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 01:33

• Advertisement

• deco

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2011
    Location Cyprus

gonorman ..is it better to pay in dollars or in dongs?..how much i have to pay for taxi from the airport to the center of hanoi?..what about the tours in halong bay and sapa?
    thanks a lot..!!

#2 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 09:48

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

where is the best place to me the honest working/student types of Vietnam?

#3 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 03:50

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Best place to meet good and honest students - Hanoi kids, the free student tours (book several weeks in advance) email at hanoikidsvn@gmail.com

Always pay in Dong for the best deal (they want you to use USD because then it's a better deal for them)

Best not to use a taxi from Hanoi airport - they have low cost daytime shuttles or have your hotel meet your flight (too too many cabs will scam the hell out of you!)

#4 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 13:15

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Or book your taxi in advance at www.hanoiairportransfer.com - not as cheap as a proper taxi from the airport but avoids risk of over charging.

#5 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 22:31

• deco

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2011
    Location Cyprus

thanks both of you!!

#6 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 15:41

• ComeAndGoVi-
    etnam

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2009

What a load of absolute nonsense the OP is spouting.

" There are some xeom try to charge you $500 aday, protect yourself."
    In general xe om drivers are a lot more honest than taxis or cyclos. I've never heard of anyone having any trouble with them - in general they have a hard life & work in a very competitive market so are generally grateful for any work they can get.

"TAXI: and by, you need to confirm the price first before you jump in the cars/vans, don't ever let them pull you in and they ask for the price later."
    Again, absolute rubbish. Any taxi driver who gives you a price before your journey starts is a crook. If he doesn't turn the meter on, get out & find another one, ideally Mai Linh.

"HOTEL: An OK place will never more than $15 a night."
    ??? So anything over $15 is not OK? Jesus. I'd say the opposite applies - pay less than $15 & you're really taking a gamble.

"Ferry and yatch, to travel to island, i should not cost you more than 150,000 VND on way for a ticket and 300,000 tickets"
    ??? What route? Which island? From which port? What a ridiculous generalisation.

NB this poster put the same post on Tripadvisor & it was deleted - suggest you do the same.

#7 Posted: 28/1/2012 - 23:06

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

"Ferry and yatch, to travel to island, i should not cost you more than 150,000 VND on way for a ticket and 300,000 tickets, it happens a lot that they make you pay 300,000 VND to have just one ticket."

I can agree with this statement. I was scammed at the docks in Haiphong using the ferry to Cat Ba. Some time after I realized how foolish I'd been, and confronted the ladies who took my money, they did acknowledge the scam and returned half of the 300K. What really bothered me was the fact that the scam was done in plain sight of the authentic ticket sellers!

#8 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 01:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Little scammers in VietNam plus a great shave ... By m4yb on 1 Jan 2013 5 4468 28 Oct 2013