Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Air tickets - buy now or in Vietnam?

• albatros11

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Hi everybody!

I am plannig my trip to Vietnam and I have small issue. Someone told me that it is better and far cheaper to buy airline tickets (for Vietnam airlines) already in Vietnam, than months before. I am a quite suspicious if it is true. My initerary is fixed and I don't wat to change it in last time, because tickets will be too expensive.

Thanks for any answers.

#1 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 13:59

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

It's always cheaper to buy online direct from the airline's website as far in advance as possible. I insist on Vietnam Air for domestic flights after my terrible experience with Jetstar Pacific. The new airline on the block is Vietjet with limited service between SGN and HAN and to DAD. Fares are up this year! I also forgot to mention Air Mekong - getting pretty good reviews, but I've only been on the first 2 that I mentioned. If you use a travel agent you will end up paying more!

#2 Posted: 27/1/2012 - 13:51

• essentialtr-
    avel

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2012

You should book as soon as possible so that you have the cheapest cost. The best airline in Vietnam is Vietnamairlines. If you arrive in Vietnam you book ticket I am sure that the cost is higher than

#3 Posted: 28/1/2012 - 04:01

• albatros11

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Thanks for all your replies. I've checked Vietjet web page, but this airline doesn't looks reliable to me. I will buy those tickets from VN tommorow - I am going to Vietnam by the end of March.

thanks again.

#4 Posted: 28/1/2012 - 04:25

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

Vietjet is backed by Air Asia, but I have yet to hear anyone speak of the service or reliability of this carrier. Any competition is good for the traveler, since ticket prices are going up in Vietnam. I believe Air Asia would have liked to start their own domestic service in this market, but I'm sure that the state owned Vietnam Airlines did their best to block that idea. The latest news is that Vietnam Airlines will invest heavily in Jetstar Pacific - currently owned partially by Qantas.

#5 Posted: 30/1/2012 - 13:34

• Hamilmk

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2012

Hi Albatross,

How did you go with booking in advance as opposed to on the ground?
    My wife and I are off in July and I was wondering exactly the same question.
    Your advice appreciated.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 21/5/2012 - 02:03

• albatros11

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

@Hamilmk

We booked tickets in advance. If You have fixed dates of Your trip, I strongly advise You to do that. They won't be cheaper than price on web site, and purchasing it in tourist cafe means that You have to pay a commission fee as well, which can vary form 10 up to 50 USD - I've checked it personally ;-)

We chose Vietnam Airlines - reliable, clean and on time.

If You have any other question - do not hesitate :-)

#7 Posted: 21/5/2012 - 03:58

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Hamilmk,

If you're not certain of your dates, booking last minute isn't hugely expensive in Vietnam in my experience, even though it undoubtedly would be more expensive than booking in advance.

When I was out there last year, I ended up booking 2 internal flights (each booked only 1-2 days in advance, because I didn't have a set itinerary or dates, and because I was originally thinking of travelling around more by bus - until I experienced the buses and realised I was terrified of the traffic). Each cost me about £25-30 ($38-45) so it's not prohibitively expensive if you end up having to book last minute.

So I guess my point is: book in advance for the best deals, but if you can't book far in advance, it's not necessary a big problem.

FYI, one I booked on the Vietnam Airlines website, and one I booked at a Vietnam Airline's ticket office (because I didn't have wifi in that town).

#8 Posted: 21/5/2012 - 14:57

• rainbow007

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi albatros 11,

I think, should you buy Vietnam domestic air ticket in advance, Vietnam airline offer different range of airfare depend on what kind of lowest cost available. If you have planed to travel to Vietnam, I suggest you book Vietnam airline though any agent or book online directly

#9 Posted: 6/6/2012 - 09:44

• Sarah223

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2012

http://www.jetradar.com is the only place I go to search flights now, after consistently finding them to find the best deals. They don't 'promote' any particular airline, but are totally transparent, plus they include the extra fees and taxes that you know you have to pay but many other 'comparison' sites leave off. This is helpful, as you can make a fair assessment of which is the best price.

#10 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 02:38

• Advertisement

• doannhan

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

You should book your tickets early from 1 or 2 months before your trip. It is more cheaper than tickets you book nearly the day you go.

#11 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 23:07

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

I don't know about Jetradar, but third party sites do not work too well for Vietnam. I have heard reports of flights listed on these sites in the hundreds of dollars, when in fact they're quite cheap on the Vietnam Airline site.

#12 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 00:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.