Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Train to Hue at 19.00 after Ha Long trip - will I make it?

• albatros11

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Another question.

I am planning to catch a train to Hue at 19.00 from Hanoi just after I come back from Ha Long trip 2D1N. As far as I know, all trips return to Hanoi approx. at 16.30, which still gives some time before the train departures.

My question is - does those Ha Long trips really arrive to Hanoi approx at 16.30, or they come back later? It is safer to book the train at 23.00 instead of this at 19.00? What is the best option?

Thanks for any replies.

#1 Posted: 28/1/2012 - 04:33

• Advertisement

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Having been twice to Halong bay, there is no way that bus gets back at 16.30. Both times, my bus got into Hanoi 19 30 or so.

#2 Posted: 28/1/2012 - 09:49

• jaclynn

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2011

I took a 2D1N trip and left Halong Bay after lunch at about 1pm. I did reach Hanoi about 430ish, and had time for a quick shower and dinner before catching the 7pm train to Hue.

The Hue-Hanoi journey is about 3+ hours, but the coach spends some time circling Hanoi to get to all the various hotels, so depending where your hotel is, it might take extra time to get back?

#3 Posted: 28/1/2012 - 11:58

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

(Jaclynn- methinks you mean "The Halong- Hanoi journey is about 3+ hours")

I would take the later train and relax in Hanoi over a good dinner and Halida brew! - trying to rush in this country is usually counterproductive (hope you've reserved on Livitrans?)

#4 Posted: 28/1/2012 - 14:57

• albatros11

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

@ jaclynn

Well, I'd like to take all my luggage with me to Ha Long. When coming back to Hanoi, deal with a driver to lift us directly to the train station.

@daawgoon

Actually, I was thinking about regular First Class AC Soft sleeper (4 berths). Do you think Livitrain is better?

#5 Posted: 28/1/2012 - 16:14

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

Albatros - you asked if I thought Livitrans was better - answer is CONSIDERABLY! I don't consider the state soft sleeper to be first class at all. I once took it from Hue to Nha Trang and it was anything but clean - roaches in my compartment. On the other hand, I've taken Livitrans several times (on both routes) and never had a problem with cleanliness or anything else.

I do hope all of your luggage is not heavy? Taking it all on a cruise might be a real pain.

#6 Posted: 28/1/2012 - 19:28

• Patrick01

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2011

We just did the Ha long trip two weeks ago.Took a more upscale tour,and were assured we would make it back in time.Probably got back to old quarter of Hanoi about 5:15pm or so,had a quick cup of tea,ect,then got a private car for $5 to take us to the train station.Traffic seemed pretty bad to me,did make it to the train about 45 min before departure.Slightly stressful,nothing a few Hanoi beers wouldn't cure.Took the 4 bunk air con soft sleeper,connected with a very cool couple from Chile.Train was rather shabby,toilet was what you might find,third class,in India.No insects however.That prompted us to simply buy an airline flight from Danang to Saigon.

#7 Posted: 29/1/2012 - 12:53

• albatros11

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Thanks for all replies. From your posts it seems better not to take state train, better buy a ticket for Livitran. Journey to Hue by this train costs 55 USD nowdays, air tickets to Da Nang is 52 USD. Quite tempting. Do you know If it is a chance to get from Da Nang to Hue at 10 pm?

@ daawgon

What exactly do you mean about 'pain with a luggage'? We will have two bakpacks, big (90 litres) and medium (60 l). Can be a problem? During bus trip or at the boat? There might be no place for it?

#8 Posted: 29/1/2012 - 13:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.