Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Sand Flees on Phu Quoc??

• thompsonkimk

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2012

We were just on Koh Rong island in Cambodia and I was not able to lay on the beach because of really bad sand flee's. Does anyone know if they have them on the beaches of Phu Quoc? We are considering spending a few nights there but if we are unable to lay on the beach it might change our minds. I would appreciate anyone's feedback.
    Cheers

#1 Posted: 13/2/2012 - 01:23

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

May be a cyclical thing - but I was there in February a few years ago and had no problem with fleas or flies.

#2 Posted: 13/2/2012 - 19:36

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I think it's a bad idea to lie on any S.E.Asian beach since sand flies can be anywhere and are hard to spot.I'd always use a chair or recliner.The bites from these things are just horrible, much worse than mosquitos and the swelling and itching can last for days.

#3 Posted: 14/2/2012 - 20:39

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It's pretty sure it's cyclic, too - but I also think it's blood type or something, too! We get there here on our beaches in NZ sometimes, too, usually in spring I've noticed. I've been on the beach with two different friends (lying on a towel, on a picnic blanket) - and the little b&#*#s are jumpting all over me. I'm covered in bites which blister up and itch the bejeezus out of me for a week. My friends? Untouched! Bah...

#4 Posted: 15/2/2012 - 02:31

• THEIBC

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

I had the same experience as 'busylizzy' on Phu Quoc, I was fortunate enough to be the one who remained untouched while my girlfriend got terrorised by the little buggers. Don't let it put you off Phu Quoc though, it's a great place! We especially enjoyed renting a moped and cruising the dirt tracks (and occasionally woods by mistake) all day.

#5 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 13:28

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I concur with that. Don't let these little buggers put you off a great island.We also rented a motorbike and had a lovely time.
    The roads are very quiet and safe. There are lots of little tracks to take you to the pristine beaches.
    The nice thing is you can't get lost as there is just that one road which circuits the island.
    Enjoy it now before the big developments start.

#6 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 19:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.