Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Ha Giang province - restricted areas?

  • UsTwo

    Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010
    Posts: 70

    I'm planning a bike trip from Ha Noi to Mai Chau, Dien Bien, Sa Pa, Lao Cai, Ha Giang, Ba Be NP, Cao Bang, Lang Son, Cam Pha, Ha Long, Ha Noi.

    My problem is with the Ha Giang to Cao Bang section.
    I want to travel due north from Ha Giang, through Tam Son, Yen Minh, Meo Vac, Bao Lac, Ba Be NP, and on to Cao Bang. There are several places of interest close to the China border, but it seems some of them are restricted by the police at Ha Giang. I can't find any definitive information, and was hoping some one may have done such a trip before.

    Any advice or information I can get would be MOST appreciated.

    #1 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 03:38

  • Advertisement

  • tvo314

    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012
    Posts: 1

    Posted from within Vietnam.

    I rode through Ha Giang, up to Dong Von and Meo Vac last year, and will do it again in April. It is important to get the permit at Ha Giang City. It used to be that you needed a tour guide, but this was not the case when I did it. And I've had about five other friends who have gone and they didn't need a guide either. But I know that if you fail to get the permit, there's a good chance that the hotels won't register you. Anyway, get the permit at the Immigration office that's next to the Tourist office. I think I got the address from a lonely planet, otherwise someone in town should be able to point you in the right direction. It should only be around $10, but some lady tried charging me a total of $50 for the service. This is not needed at all, as the process was really simple. Just need your passport. Hope this helped. That area is absolutely stunning. My favorite region in Vietnam.
    Safe Travels,

    #2 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 05:01

  • UsTwo

    Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010
    Posts: 70

    thanks, Tyler.
    What I was hoping for. You've made my day!

    #3 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 06:04

  • Suturn

    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2012
    Location Italy
    Posts: 28
    Total reviews: 8

    Posted from within Vietnam.

    At Dong Van the hotels will get the permit for you at the local police station, for an extra fee.

    #4 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 19:59

  • Want2BHappy

    Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2013
    Location United Kingdom
    Posts: 56
    Places visited:
    At least 24

    Yes, just get the permit in Dong Van or Yen Minh if you stop there. Police will take no interest in you at all, but the permit is needed to stay in hotels, so if you need one, they will get it for you if you haven't got it yourself. There are plenty of places where you could ride right up to the border and stray into China if you were so minded, but the border is usually marked, so it would be hard to cross over accidentally.

    Scenery is stunning so don't rush. Plenty of exploring to be done off the main roads, which are generally not bad, although there is a lot of road improvement and repair going on.

    Don't try to go on highway 279 north of Ba Be.

    #5 Posted: 20/8/2013 - 02:02

  • erohisms

    Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2013
    Posts: 10

    Hey guys - we did the loop from Ha Giang in June and even though we overnighted in Meo Vac, we ended up doing it without a permit.

    What happened is the hotel we were going to stay in was full, so we crossed the street to a "homestay." She took our passports when we checked in and I assumed she'd go and buy the permit for us and charge us the next morning. But the next morning, there was no extra charge and no permit.

    I wouldn't try this if you're staying multiple nights, but for one night, it worked out. Here's our trip report if you're interested: http://erohisms.com/motorbiking-ha-giang-and-beyond-our-two-day-motorcycle-diaries/

    #6 Posted: 1/9/2013 - 06:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 Days-round in Ha Giang Province ... By Suturn on 8 Sep 2012 8 6570 18 Jun 2014