Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

local currency or USD Langkawi, Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia,

• samsmithsur-
    fs

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2011

Hey there, 3 of us are travelling to Langkawi, Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia, and I am trying to work out currency to buy. I'm wondering how widely USD are accepted, or is it better to get a debit card and withdraw local currency? In Luang Prabang, do I need to buy some KIP? or use USD (small purchases like meal in town, water, taxi etc)
    Also, I've heard that in Siem Reap, Cambodia USD is accepted for everything - taxi, tuk tuk, meals in town etc. Is this right? I'd love any suggestions re cash / debit card etc.
    Also, another question, what's the best way to deal with lots of photos/images on SD cards. A previous trip we had a laptop and just downloaded photos at the end of the day and then reformatted cards. We won't have luxury of laptop this time. I was wondering if anyone can give me suggestions. At home I use a card reader and download images to that way.
    Thanks a lot for any advice
    Sam

#1 Posted: 21/2/2012 - 00:41

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Of the 4 countries you list, USD is the official currency of only one of those - Cambodia (jointly with the riel). So yes, what you heard about Siem Reap (and the rest of the country for tha tmatter) is correct.

I generally operated in the local currency in the remaining countries for the simple reason that that was what the ATMs dispensed.

#2 Posted: 21/2/2012 - 03:50

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Reminder: make sure to inform your bank that you'll be traveling to these countries. It is easiest to simply use the ATM as chinarocks says, but I always bring a few hundred just to make I have some cash in case something goes wrong.

#3 Posted: 21/2/2012 - 17:40

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

It is true that for South East Asian countries, use the local currencies. For Cambodia, even if the USD is accepted at most hotels & motobikes, it would still be good to have some Riels to pay for food and drinks or groceries as some shops charge tourists higher prices than the locals when paying in USD. For Vietnam, the dong would be the preferred currency, but USD is accpted (& preferred) for most hotels.

#4 Posted: 22/2/2012 - 15:31

• samsmithsur-
    fs

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2011

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, have organised a CC, debit card and a little cash. cheers

#5 Posted: 23/2/2012 - 20:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
What currency to get for Laos, Cambodia & Vietnam ... By samadam on 3 Dec 2009 2 4230 4 Dec 2009
Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia. Currency?? ... By reneejordan on 3 Dec 2010 3 4764 7 Dec 2010
Currency options for Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam ... By simeone_8 on 17 Mar 2006 4 3702 18 Apr 2006
US$ vs. local currency ... By daflj on 8 Dec 2008 2 1973 9 Dec 2008
Currency - Travelling Vietnam to Laos ... By laydeesian on 3 Feb 2013 3 1210 6 Feb 2013
currency in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam ... By Northwig on 21 Oct 2014 3 149 21 Oct 2014