Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Ha Giang vs. Sapa

• junebug

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2012

Hello! I've been reading this forum with interest as we plan out trip for next fall. We are planning for ~3 weeks in Vietnam (perhaps 3 days in Siem Reap/Angor Wat as well). I will likely ask for advice on our entire itinerary at a later date, but for now was hoping to get some opinions on travelling in the north. We are considering Sapa , as many do, but are also intrigued by Ha Giang and the surrounding area (e.g., Dong Van). Sapa seems "easier" to arrange independently (can take a train, arrange treks when you get there) but the Ha Giang area looks freakin' gorgeous, and less touristy. We're interested in natural scenery, a bit of trekking, and checking out a market.

Can anyone comment? We could devote ~5-6 days to the region. I suspect a tour would be easiest if we went the Ha Giang route, so if anyone has a recommendation, it would be appreciated. We're more "budget" travellers, but will splurge a bit for this leg if it's worth it. Thanks much.

#1 Posted: 25/2/2012 - 07:43

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I've been to Sapa twice, but never to Ha Giang, but I think I understand the situation pretty well. Seems to me the advantage of Ha Giang would be a more natural setting (lack of tourists) vs Sapa which is overrun with tourists most of the time. I also believe that you'd need considerably more time to travel there, and once you get there, the accommodation/food are most likely more rustic and more limited. You could possibly have a language problem in HG as well. I would think that you'd need a private tour of HG (not cheap) - I've never seen any group tours heading up there?

#2 Posted: 26/2/2012 - 21:55

• vicdoan

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

if you want go to Ha Giang, should go by motobike, you can hire bikes in Ha Noi and take them to Sapa by train, From Sapa you can go to Ha Giang easier. 3-4 days in HG is enough.

#3 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 07:50

• junebug

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2012

Thanks for the replies. I think we are now leaning towards Sapa as we'd like to do some trekking and most of the Ha Giang tours I've seen involve a lot of driving (totally understandable, since it's so remote). As we don't ride motorbikes, we would need to do a 4WD tour. Even though the Ha Giang scenery looks fab, I'm pretty sure my travel companion will get restless spending that much time in a car each day! If we could somehow squeeze in both (Ha Giang driving tour, ending in Sapa for a couple of days) we would, but I'm afraid our time will be too limited.

I'm still open to persuasion, however. [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img] But if we went to Sapa, does anyone have suggestions for some cool daytrips from Sapa to get away from the crowds (or nice moderate trekking routes)?

#4 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 15:25

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Sarah just blogged Ha Giang since she just traveled there

#5 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 23:17

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

For me Ha Giang wins hands down for scenery, local experience and such.

Can fully understand though if someone would choose Sapa over HG because of easier travel, hotels and all other things that make Sapa more convenient. However, if you're in for a little more adventure and that "1 special experience off the beaten path" this area would be your best candidate.

As daawgon said: Read the blog that has just been posted, you could find some valuable information there.

#6 Posted: 11/4/2012 - 02:29

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Thanks guys! I agree with everything said above and get your reservations about Ha Giang. There are many differences between the two places, and I think both are worth a visit, but sounds like Sapa might suit your needs best this time.

I don't have any specific recommendations on day trips from Sapa, but I don't think it's difficult to get away from the crowds: for example, last time I went, my friend and I arranged a private day trek from our hotel and walked up to the Heaven's Gate waterfall (I think that's what it's called). We didn't see any other tourists for the whole of the trek, until we got to the waterfall, and the scenery was fantastic.

If you're there over a weekend then you could go to Bac Ha for the market. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a day trip from Sapa for this though - go on a Saturday, stay over night and get up early for the best of the market experience.

You can head further northwest from Sapa, up to Lai Chau and beyond, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as, apart from scenery, there's not a lot to do and no infrastructure for e.g. arranging treks. Great if you're on a bike, but not so much if you're in a cramped bus.

Anyway, read the two blogs on Ha Giang - they might change your mind!

#7 Posted: 11/4/2012 - 03:07

• junebug

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2012

Cool blog! Sounds like you had a great trip. I was leaning towards Sapa but now I'm not so sure, lol. I'll have to look a bit more into tours and will contact Rocky Plateau to see if they organize trips other than by motorbike.

Cheers!

#8 Posted: 11/4/2012 - 20:57

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Glad it was of help. All the best with your decision-making!

#9 Posted: 11/4/2012 - 21:25

• Suturn

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2012
    Location Italy
    Total reviews: 8

Hi! If it can be of help I just posted my experience in Ha Giang Province.

#10 Posted: 8/9/2012 - 22:05

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.