• downundergal

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2005
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 4

Hi - early planning stage - I have 10 nights:
    Two ideas below:
    Night 1 & 2: Hanoi
    Night 3: Halong Bay (would like a 2 night cruise if time permits)
    Night 4: o/n train to Sapa
    Night 5: Sapa - would also consider an extra night here as well
    Night 6: o/n train from Sapa
    Night 7: Hanoi or out to Phong Nga homestay
    Night 8: Hanoi
    Extra night in each Sapa & Halong Bay would make up the 10 nights
    Or do I keep the same until night 7 and fly to Da Nang & spend 2 or 3 nights in Hoi An fly back to Hanoi for 1 night and then out?
    The other question is I am looking at travelling around the 10th of June or do I hold off until Sept - weather wise I don't want to travel to Sapa or Halong Bay and not see a thing!!
    Thanks for any help you can give...

#1 Posted: 26/2/2012 - 00:21

• Advertisement

• sn0wman

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2012

sept will be good as june is raining season is abit hard to move around esp if u r in mountain area.

#2 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 01:17

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'd stick with the North in the time you have and given it sounds like you're hankering after an extra day in Halong and / or Sapa . Also note you can't just do a day at Phong Nga Farmstay from Hanoi - well, you could but most of the day would be spent at the airport / on flights - so I'd skip this or go there instead of Sapa or for those last couple of days if you have a particular interest in the caves.

Regarding time of year - you know, I have no idea! I've spent 2 full summers in Hanoi now and I haven't spotted a clear pattern. But the rainy season supposedly runs from June to September, with the worst months being July and August, so on that basis June and September are likely to be similar. Unfortunately visibility is hard to guarantee in Halong and Sapa at any time of year.

#3 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 03:17

• downundergal

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2005
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 4

Thanks Sn0wman and travellings-arah - since posting I have pushed my trip back due to the weather - I'm looking at arriving mid Oct, also decided a 1 night cruise in Halong would be enough and opted for 2 nights in Sapa (plus 2 nights on the train) - rest of time I am looking at spending in Hanoi ; keen on a cooking class (highway4 ??)and we both love markets and taking in the local sights as well as visiting the nearby craft villages; seeing less of more but relaxing eating, drinking and observing. Just a couple of questions if you can help 1. Halong Bay - thinking of the Indochina Junk Red Dragon expensive but is it worth the splurge and 2. o/n train to Sapa is a 4 berth sleeper the best option or worth paying for a 2 berth also is it best to book online directly or thru yr hotel 3. Looking at staying at the Hanoi Charming2 in Hanoi seems a good option - any help with this or other tips would be appreciated. Cheers, Kerrie

#4 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 05:13

• sn0wman

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2012

i intend to do all these in nights - 2 hanoi / 1 halong / 3 sapa / 2 danang / 2 hoi an / 1 HCMC

After asking a few frens quite a few of them say no pt do 2 night in halong as there is not much to see. If u take junk boat than is easier for u to move around as u not need to transfer from city to boat again. If u intend to stay city (cheaper option) than it take time to move from city to boat again.

#5 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 05:25

• ecotravelvi-
    etna

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

September is harvest season in sapa so you can see ripe yellow paddy fields in this area. it is a special of Sapa. September in general still not much rain. It is still sunny. However, June is in low season so you can receive some good package than September. From June to September is ok to see and if you wish to take photo of yellow ladder field in sapa take trip on september

#6 Posted: 23/3/2012 - 10:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First Time Solo Traveller!!!CANT WAIT!!! ... By SIMONL on 19 Oct 2013 3 4252 23 Oct 2013
Irish female travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Thailand June-Sept ... By mibbles on 2 May 2011 25 5197 22 Feb 2012
How should I distribute my time in Laos & Vietnam this June & July ... By hofo_mofo on 17 Mar 2010 7 2576 25 Mar 2010
Vietnam Itinerary Help - 9 Days June ... By Poyntzpass on 20 Feb 2013 5 3033 13 Apr 2013
Anyone heading Northbound through Vietnam in a few days time? ... By emmalbateman on 26 Aug 2012 0 578 26 Aug 2012
Thailand in Sept or June? ... By greensnow on 13 Jan 2012 2 899 14 Jan 2012
13 weeks solo in SEA (June - Sept) ... By Maran on 21 Apr 2014 4 1006 23 May 2014