Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Visa length

• Criggy

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2012

Hi,
    Just planning my trip around SEA next month...
    I'm going for about 9 weeks in total, and i'm thinking of spending 4-5 in Vietnam to start. I'm hoping to do this by motorbike, and keep my itinerary pretty flexible. How easy is it to get a visa extension if I chose to get a 1 month visa and end up staying for 5-6 weeks? Can this just be sorted out with cash when I leave (land border to Cambodia) or will I need to apply for an extension at an embassy before my visa expires?
    Is it just as well to pay the extra and get the 3 month visa just for peace of mind, or is this a simple enough thing to sort out?
    Thanks for any advice,
    -Chris

#1 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 09:55

• Advertisement

• THEIBC

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hi mate, we sorted our Vietnam Visa in Laos cos we heard rumours about not getting them at the border unless you were flying in. Extending your Visa is very easy, our hotel arranged it in Nha Trang. Lots of places offer the service and charge a small fee for the pleasure, just make sure you trust (as much as you can) whoever you give it too, we spent a few weeks in our hotel and go to know them pretty well otherwise I would have been a bit scared of doing so, you can do it for yourself at the embassy though.

You will love it in Vietnam on the bike, be careful though saw lots of bandages on people from crashes. We took it easy and were fine, their way of driving looks mental and as though it has no rules but after a day or two you realise how things work and should be fine.

If you are staying in guesthouses or want to do scuba diving whilst there you might want to check out our discount card - www.internationalbackpackercard.com - to save a bit of cash!

#2 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 13:48

• shopunderwa-
    ter

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2012
    Location Australia

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you are going to stay longer than your original visa it's best to sort out an extension not wait until you leave. One month extensions can easily be arranged through hotels and tour offices in all the big cities.
    If you are riding a motorbike in Vietnam make sure you are aware of the law here, ie unless you go plan on getting a VN license (which you can't do on a 1mth visa anyway) you will not be covered by your travel insurance. Many tourists do ride anyway and most escape without serious injury, but it is a risk.

#3 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 12:52

• Criggy

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2012

Thank you for your advice guys!

#4 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 14:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Length of Vietnam Multi Entry Visa ... By mamooaustralia on 3 May 2010 2 3569 12 Jun 2010
Thai Tourist visa entries/length of stay ... By Gorey on 24 Oct 2011 2 1960 28 Oct 2011