Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

14 days...doable or a bit unrealistic??

• HanCi

Joined Travelfish
    29th February, 2012

Hi,

We will be visiting family in Singapore in June and are planning a 2 week sidetrip to Vietnam. This is the itinerary that we have come up with, just need reassuring that it is doable or are we being very ambitious?!

Day 1 - arrive Hanoi (in the evening)
    Day 2 - Halong Bay (1 night)
    Day3 - Halong Bay/ Hanoi
    Day 4 - Hanoi then overnight train to Sapa
    Day 5 - Sapa
    Day 6 - Sapa/ overnight train back to Hanoi
    Day 7 - Hanoi/ overnight train/next morning flight to Hue /Danang
    Day 8 - easy rider trip to Hoi An
    Day 9 - Hoi An
    Day 10 - Hoi An then eve flight to Saigon
    Day 11 - Saigon/ CuChi Tunnnels
    Day 12 - Mekong Delta
    Day 13 - Mekong Delta/ Saigon
    Day 14 - Saigon then eve flight to Singapore

We are not really into history/museums ect. and we don't plan to do the beach destinations on this trip. We are very keen to fit Sapa in for some trekking. If we arrive in Hue we just plan to go straight to Hoi An. Also, we are not sure if we should stay overnight in the Mekong Delta, is this recommended or is one day enough?

Thanks in advance for any replys :)

#1 Posted: 29/2/2012 - 20:19

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It looks really hectic to me. If it were me, based on the things you wrote about desires, I'd just go to Hanoi and Sapa. 14 days is not a lot of time...

#2 Posted: 29/2/2012 - 21:26

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

June in the North is supposed to be relatively rainy (though not as bad as August) so keep that in mind for planning treks in Sapa and a visit to Halong Bay. June is an excellent time to visit Hue /Danang/Hoi'an as far as weather is concerned. So, though you aren't that keen on making this a beach outing or staying in Hue very long you may want to reconsider and allow for more time there. As you could find complications in travel with rain delaying treks in the North, it may be better to give yourself the full 14 days for just the North and Central Vietnam.

You could take an overnight train to Hue (or fly) and spend a night or two in the area (plenty to see and do), then take a morning or afternoon train to Da Nang (a beautiful ride) and check out the less touristy Da Nang for a night or two (staying close to China beach and getting some fresh seafood and beach time anyway) - then going down to Hoi'an for a couple nights before flying back to Hanoi from Da Nang (very convenient airport there). There is also a notable stretch of beach in Hoi'an, though I prefer the one around Da Nang. Renting motorbikes in Da Nang there are two nice 1/2 day trips you can take either to Marble Mountains or Monkey Mountain (Son Tra) for a great view of the area.

#3 Posted: 29/2/2012 - 23:20

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

The word is brutal, even with a private aircraft, your head would be spinning off it's axis - and this doesn't even consider the heat of June! Since you arrive in the evening, you only have 13 days - SLASH AND BURN! I consider Hanoi to be interesting enough for several days, and Sapa is a must on my list too.

I would spend those 13 days in the North + Hoi An, and forget the rest. You can fly directly from Danang to Singapore.

#4 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 00:31

• HanCi

Joined Travelfish
    29th February, 2012

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks to the advice above I think we will be leaving south of Hoi An for another trip...it will be an excuse to go back!

Thanks again

#5 Posted: 6/3/2012 - 09:03

• sn0wman

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2012

i intend to travel also just like the thread starter but i will skip the HCMC part as i have been before.

Jus wondering izzit worth going to danang and hoi an?? I will be going only end oct to early nov.

#6 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 01:00

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

"Jus wondering izzit worth going to danang and hoi an?? I will be going only end oct to early nov."

That depends on a few things, if you have the time, then absolutely! In my book, Hoi An is the real attraction there - it's just a great place to relax without all the usual hassles one finds in VN.

It will depend on the weather, as fall also means typhoon season and flooding in that area - you just have to keep on top of the weather forecasts - you should be flex in your travels of this country, anyway.

Enjoy!

#7 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 13:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.