Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Currency in Vietnam

• andreaze

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2012

I'm living in Thailand, and trying to figure out what I should do for my upcoming trip to Vietnam, money-wise. I keep hearing mixed things: a Thai friend has told me everywhere takes Thai Baht. I also understand they accept US dollars. But my friend who is there now says it's all about the dong everywhere (the dollar rips you off a bit), but he hasn't seen anywhere that takes Baht. Does anyone know anything about this? Also, will it be best for me to bring a wad of baht over and convert it at a currency shop, or just use my ATM card to withdraw Dong or USD?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 20:28

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I never heard about places taking thai baht and neither have I seen any evidence of this. So I wouldn't recommend bringing baht at all. A mix of dong and dollars is a good idea so you can pay in whatever currency the price is quoted in. "The dollar rips you off a bit" doesn't really make sense as if a hotel quotes a price in dollars (which they usually do) you're more likely to be ripped off on the exchange rate if you want to pay in dong. Easy way round this of course: check the exchange rate in advance. Re your last question - if you have spare baht, bring it, but there's no advantage to taking baht out of an ATM in Thailand and then exchanging it here as you'll pay twice.

#2 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 21:29

• stevepk

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2012

I totally agree with Travellings-are's point. I have never seen anywhere in Vietnam accept purchasing by Baht. A piece of tip for you that you should bring an amount of USD. You can exchange USD to Dong easier than Baht to Dong. Maybe some place in Vietnam also accept USD (that's more popular in major cities than the rest). You can also use your mastercard or visa card here.

#3 Posted: 2/3/2012 - 20:09

• Wedge

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2012

Previous replies are correct re dong & dollars. Just wanted to point out there are lots of ATM machines in all the places we have been so far in Vietnam. Most have a 2 million dong limit which is around $100 which goes a long way. A lot of places charge 3% extra to pay by card which isn't too bad.

#4 Posted: 2/3/2012 - 22:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.