Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Travelling to Hanoi - halong bay - Sapa and more...

• sn0wman

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2012

I intend to travel with my friend to hanoi - sapa and more in late oct - 1st week nov on backpacking. I personally work in the travel industry more or less have a basic info of hanoi. I been to HCMC but havent get a chance to go Hanoi, below are a few qus i wish to ask and find out more.

1) is it worth to stay in hanoi or halong bay 2night (never been before and not staying over junk boat)
    2) what is the diff between staying in sapa and the villages at sapa? I dont might homestay, my purpose is to expreicene culture and see more things.
    3) i am keen to take up trekking but i dont wish to do it for too long which trekking package or village is good to visit?
    4) what other things is a must to visit in hanoi or sapa
    5) is danang and hoi an worth going??? if worth going i might just go down after my hanoi area.

*I can spare max 10-12days on tours itself, meaning if the needed area hanoi / sapa have already covered, i might consider to head down to danang and hoi an*

#1 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 00:36

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

1) is it worth to stay in hanoi or halong bay 2night (never been before and not staying over junk boat)

I like Hanoi - my kind of extremely interesting town, and I think you will too (stay in the Old Quarter - I rec the Hanoi Art Hotel on Hang Dieu)

2) what is the diff between staying in sapa and the villages at sapa? I dont might homestay, my purpose is to expreicene culture and see more things.

The villages are pretty primitive, and many homestays are not what one might expect (I had a bad experience in a Mai Chau homestay) Start in Sapa , and you can always move to a homestay that you've toured beforehand. Sapa is pretty small, and once there, you can do exactly what you want.

3) i am keen to take up trekking but i dont wish to do it for too long which trekking package or village is good to visit?

Just book a half day trek at your hotel - can't really rec any particular village.

4) what other things is a must to visit in hanoi or sapa

In Hanoi, I recommend getting in touch with Hanoikids - free student tours in exchange for English practice - contact at hanoikidsvn@gmail.com well in advance

5) is danang and hoi an worth going??? if worth going i might just go down after my hanoi area.

I answered this in the other post - YES

#2 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 13:19

• UsTwo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010

Not wanting to hijack the thread, Daawgon, but I'm headed through Mai Chau soon - would you care to expand on your experience there?

Thanks

#3 Posted: 11/3/2012 - 01:07

• sn0wman

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2012

dawwgon - thanks for ur recommend. So u suggest how long shld i stay in sapa?? do u think 3 nights will be good??

i intend to do this 2night hanoi / 1night halong / 3 night sapa /2night danang / 2night Hoian / 1 HCMC. What do u think??

I also found Nha Trang interested... but will it be too pack.. cause Nha Trang is like out of the way

#4 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 05:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
1 week in Hanoi - can I fit in Sapa and Halong? ... By Doggins on 15 Apr 2009 13 6960 10 Jun 2009
Hanoi; Sapa; Halong Bay - weather in February? ... By JenHarley on 6 Dec 2011 7 9602 22 Jan 2012
HEATED accomodation: Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay ... By suecatwoman on 18 Feb 2008 1 2140 20 Feb 2008