Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Anyone know of any good tailors in Hoi An

• geoffraffe

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Looking for some decent clothes, any suggestions?

#1 Posted: 20/3/2007 - 23:08

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Geoff,

There's a few old threads about this -- probably a good spot to start.

Hoi an and suit shops

Hoi An cloths

Bear in mind there's approximately 12,437,324,567 tailors in Hoi An!

#2 Posted: 21/3/2007 - 16:39

• camstyle

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007

spent 6 days in hoi an loved it very much the best place we found was a place called Guys and Gals it was on the main road opposite the hoia an resort hotel i think? small frontage back of the road a bit 10m roughly .
    they are friendly and i'm fussy when it comes to clothes having worked in the industry for about 15 years. mention cameron from perth my buisness card is in there promo book. from april last year.
    we also stayed near the beach at the sea and sand resort it was fantastic.

#3 Posted: 21/3/2007 - 19:59

• hoai

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007

Hi Geoff,

There are hundreds of tailors in Hoi An but not all of them are professional. Being a tour guide throughout of Vietnam and pass by Hoi An very often, I highly suggest you should check their website and models carefully before making your decision to get it. If you haven't chosen any and need a recommend, feel free to contact me.

#4 Posted: 21/3/2007 - 21:53

• transki

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2007
    Total reviews: 13

Hi Geoff

We scouted quite a number of places and settled on a quality tailor shop called "Heritege Tailors" We had several pants, shirts, and dresses made which we were initially happy with. Unfortunately, almost all the pieces have fallen apart at the seams with the first washing.
    Be careful!!

#5 Posted: 29/3/2007 - 03:45

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Tailors in Hoi An are not what they appear to be. They are more accurately described as clothing outlets as much of what a store sells is not produced by or even at the retailers.

If you had walked EVERY street in Hoi An as I did last month (on business) you would know that there are many houses who openly are sewing clothing products which give rise to poor quality control.

And just because a store employs 'foreigners' to hustle their goods doesn't mean a store is honest, either, just that they have landed a seasonal job that satisfies their needs.

#6 Posted: 30/3/2007 - 04:24

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

One other point - several 'copies' of 'letters of recommendation' can be seen in many stores.

Either the letter writers all write the same message or one or two characters sure did a lot of shopping at many stores - if these posters are to be believed.

#7 Posted: 30/3/2007 - 04:26

• stephka

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2006

"Unfortunately, almost all the pieces have fallen apart at the seams with the first washing."

Yes, ask them what kind of thread they use. Mercerized cotton is good, and polyester is terrible.

#8 Posted: 2/4/2007 - 17:49

• hansyen

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2007

Strange. There over 400 clothes shops in Hoi An and if I have to believe some of the posts none of them are doing a good job.

Well my expressions with clothes shops in Hoi An is different

I can recommend you a good tailor in Hoi An.
    Their shop is on one of the main streets in Hoi An. They are fast, deliver quality, not pushy and they do all of that for a fair price.
    The address is 22 Le Loi Street and that is also the name of the shop.

I order clothes every time when I visit Hoi An and I have washed my clothes many times since than and they are still in one piece. It is all depending on what the quality is of material you choose. To choose a good shop is important but even more important are the tailors, who are working for a shop. The tailor who is making the suits for 22 Le Loi street is one of the best in Hoi An. I know for a fact that he does this work for 6 or 7 years now. The first 3 or 4 years he worked for a boss who was teaching him how to make suits. Now since a couple of years he is working alone.

Also for the other pieces of clothes they work together with tailors who have years of experience in making clothes. My advice is that you better choose for quality instead of a well-decorated shop. A well-decorated shop shall most of the time charge you a higher price for the same or even less quality. A big part of your payment is for the shop decoration, the rent of the shop and the taxbill and that is not something you cannot enjoy back home.

When I return to Hoi An this summer I want them to make all my new clothes because after all my visits since 1995 I know for sure they are one of the best in town.
    If you are planning to visit this shop make sure that you say hello from Hans, Yen and Kimberly from Holland and I'm sure that you will get the highest possible services.

#9 Posted: 2/4/2007 - 19:18

• hansyen

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2007

Strange. There over 400 clothes shops in Hoi An and if I have to believe some of the posts none of them are doing a good job.

Their shop is on one of the main streets in Hoi An. They are fast, deliver quality, not pushy and they do all of that for a fair price.

I order clothes every time when I visit Hoi An and I have washed my clothes many times since than and they are still in one piece. It is all depending on what the quality is of material you choose. To choose a good shop is important but even more important are the tailors, who are working for a shop. The tailor who is making the suits for 22 Le Loi street is one of the best in Hoi An. I know for a fact that he does this work for 6 or 7 years now. The first 3 or 4 years he worked for a boss who was teaching him how to make suits. Now since a couple of years he is working alone.

Also for the other pieces of clothes they work together with tailors who have years of experience in making clothes. My advice is that you better choose for quality instead of a well-decorated shop. A well-decorated shop shall most of the time charge you a higher price for the same or even less quality. A big part of your payment is for the shop decoration, the rent of the shop and the taxbill and that is not something you cannot enjoy back home.

When I return to Hoi An this summer I want them to make all my new clothes because after all my visits since 1995 I know for sure they are one of the best in town.
    If you are planning to visit this shop make sure that you say hello from Hans, Yen and Kimberly from Holland and I'm sure that you will get the highest possible services.

#10 Posted: 2/4/2007 - 19:18

• Advertisement

• hansyen

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2007

#11 Posted: 2/4/2007 - 19:18

• LionelHutz

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2005
    Total reviews: 9

YALY Couture. I got a cashmere/wool men's suit for US$100 and it was really good, 18 months and several drycleans on it is still going strong. Their cotton shirts are even better, I wish I had bought more of them. For best results, get them to make something they already have in store - if they have to copy a picture there is less chance they'll get it right.

#12 Posted: 18/4/2007 - 08:15

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

I can now second hansyen and CONFIRM the shop called 22 LE LOI located, surprisingly, at 22 Le Loi Street has EXCELLENT quality.

I had two pairs of short pants (trousers) made with numerous visable and hidden pockets (fashioned after Canadian Tilley pants) and the work was the greatest!

Avoid IMPRESSIONS BOUTIQUE (all 5) as their work is shoddy and of low quality and likely depend on you not discovering their weaknesses until long after you leave Hoi An!

#13 Posted: 18/4/2007 - 21:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.