Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

VND, USD or my dashing good looks??

• Benno

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

Hi All,
    When in Vietnam, do I pay in VND or USD for things like food, taxi, massage, tours, shopping items etc. I don't want to exchange a ton of USD and then turn around and have to change it back, thus getting screwed on the exchange rate back to AUD.
    What is the recommended amount to have with me when I hit the airport in both currencies?
    If there are people out there that can assist, I would be most grateful.

As you can see by my question, I don't think I will be able to get away with things on looks alone. :)

#1 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 02:31

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

If you bring your ATM card you can get by with very little cash USD. All ATMs dispense VND.
    I don't know where you land but there should be an ATM if you arrive in HCMC or Hanoi.

In general VND is the only accepted currency. Some hotels and bigger purchases can be paid in USD but check the rate carefully. Some will give you a good rate because they want to have hard currency, others will try to screw you.

Always good to have some USD as emergency back-up and I would bring in any case some $200-400 in USD (or AUD) for those sundays, power cuts or lost/broken ATM card.

#2 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 03:06

• Benno

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

Thanks very much. That clears it up- the bit about ATM's. In Cambodia the ATM's dispense USD and that's the currency of choice with only small change being local currency.
    Funny story in Cambodia - crossing from Thailand. Stop at side market and get food.
    How much for can of coke? US$1... Bought.
    How much for packet of pringles? XX Thai Baht... Bought
    How much for mars bar? XX Cambodian money... Bought
    Funny part of the world, 1 stop, 1 country, 3 currencies....

#3 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 06:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.