Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Sapa Trekking

• Ally_the_Cat

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2012

I am looking to spend about 6-7 days in Sapa in early April to do some trekking. The two treks I am most interested in are Fansipan and the Ban Ho village trek/hot springs (both found on travelfish). Is that enough time and any personal suggestions/experiences for homestays/hostels in a backpacker budget range that could also help arrange a guide? Any personal experiences/stories on these two treks would be greatly appreciated as well :)

#1 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 21:07

• Advertisement

• ecotravelvi-
    etna

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

You cannot trek to Fansipan in 1 day. At least you must be there 2 days and 1 night camp in the mountain. You have 6 - 7 days so I offer you to have 2 days for Fansipan. 2 or 3 days trek around minority village: Cat Cat - Ham Rong Mountain. Next day visit Lao Chai - Ta Van. Homestay in Ta Van. Next day trek Ta Van - Giang Ta Chai - Ban ho. Homestay in Ban Ho. Then back Sapa town the following day after Ban ho. The rest of time is Bac Ha market or other markets depend on day you stay in Sapa. Bac Ha market on Sunday, Can Cau on Saturday and Coc Ly on Tuesday. The route can make exchange to suit with the day you arrive and leave Sapa.

#2 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 11:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Not to be pedantic here (OK I'm being pedantic) but I think they are actually "hikes" vs "treks".

#3 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 12:52

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

6 or 7 days in that area is a great deal of time, and although it is very colorful/interesting, you might not want to lock yourself in. I would leave the return trip open, so you can come and go as you please. I think most of the accommodations are either homestays or small hotels. Just be very careful booking a homestay (I had a bad experience at the one I used in Mai Chau). I did stay at the Anh Dao Hotel a few years ago and was very well pleased with the prices, the room, their Lotus restaurant and the location at the bottom of the main street. Sapa is so small that you don't really need to book treks ahead of time - walk around town asking about the treks at the few travel agents and hotel travel desks. The whole area is very informal and you will be able to find exactly what you want in a very short amount of time. Say hello to the Hmong ladies for me!

#4 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 13:51

• Ally_the_Cat

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2012

Thanks so much for the advice. I am definitely not locking myself into anything, most of my trekking wants are weather and cost dependent. I'm just excited to be in that part of Vietnam, I hear it is quite beautiful.

#5 Posted: 22/3/2012 - 10:17

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

Very beautiful! I warn everyone who does not include Sapa in their itineraries that they are missing the most beautiful/natural part of this country. Yes, those indigenous ladies do drive us travelers a little crazy with all their "often unwanted attention", but you will love the place. I've been there twice, and think of it very fondly. Just smile and don't get too upright when the ladies follow you around town - learn how to say "NO" with a smile on your face!

#6 Posted: 22/3/2012 - 12:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

daawgon
    Are you saying that prostitution is a major thing in Sapa or are these ladies selling something else. I lost you on this one.

#7 Posted: 22/3/2012 - 13:06

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

Madmac - sorry for the confusion! Now that I reread what I wrote, I see your point, but I've never heard of a hooker in Sapa. No no no, I'm talking about the hawkers (they never really stop trying to sell their handicrafts to the tourists, and it can annoy some people, myself included the first 100 or so times!)

#8 Posted: 22/3/2012 - 21:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

It did sound hard to imagine. As endemic as prostitition is in this part of the world, I couldn't imagine some sort of "Pattata North" developing in a place like Sapa.

#9 Posted: 22/3/2012 - 22:09

• Ally_the_Cat

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2012

Isn't there a thing called the "love market" though? I read it was supposed to be for young teenagers looking to find a "mate" but has become more of a tourist attraction...

#10 Posted: 23/3/2012 - 22:02

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

The love Market. Got to love the name.

#11 Posted: 25/3/2012 - 08:10

• UsTwo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010

Alley,
    you may be referring to Khau Vai, not far from Meo Vac, in the north. Not only a "love market" for teenagers looking for a mate, also where past loves can be renewed for a while, without repercussions from current mate. Very broadminded. Forbidden to tourists, apparently.

#12 Posted: 25/3/2012 - 22:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Not only a "love market" for teenagers looking for a mate, also where past loves can be renewed for a while, without repercussions from current mate. Very broadminded. Forbidden to tourists, apparently."

Broad minded and closed minded all at the same time. Pretty impressive.

I still like the name though.

#13 Posted: 26/3/2012 - 08:28

• Ally_the_Cat

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2012

I read about it in the Lonely Planet book. Pretty interesting, but I really do not think it would be something I would want to check out anyway.

What is the best way to get to Sapa? My current hostel in Hanoi is trying to get me to do a tour, saying that the train is REALLY expensive to take and I will end up spending over $100 round trip... they have mediocre tours offered, but I really am interested in Fansipan (they told me here it would be around $200 to go!!!). I figure it would be better to go on my own and check it out. But sometimes, on special occasions, the tours end up being a better deal. I do not really plan on going back to Hanoi anyway, as I am wanting to go straight to Laos and onto Thailand from there. It would be a waste of time to go all the way back to Hanoi right?

#14 Posted: 26/3/2012 - 11:54

• navilink

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2012

I will be in Sapa from 10-13May so I wonder if anyone around there that time, would like to join in for a hiking all around Sapa and especially Mount Fansipan?

#15 Posted: 7/4/2012 - 12:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.