Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

odd house in VN?

• stephka

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2006

Posted from within Vietnam.

I read somewhere on the net months ago about some very eccentric house that was built here in VN by a woman, that is available to tourists to visit. I can't find it in my guidebook, and having trouble doing a netsearch. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

#1 Posted: 24/3/2007 - 18:35

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Are you thinking of the Crazy House in Da Lat? If so, you can read more about it here -- there's even a pic!

#2 Posted: 25/3/2007 - 05:42

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Madam Nha is a qualified architect who has good political connections. Her hotel is a 'work in prgress'.

A visit to her hotel is worth it for just the coffee.

#3 Posted: 27/3/2007 - 23:28

• stephka

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2006

Thanks, that's it. We will definitely go see that.

#4 Posted: 28/3/2007 - 22:42

• stephka

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2006

Okay, I went to see that yesterday, and I can honestly say that it was one of the highlights of my trip. That was the most bizarre and eccentric bit of architecture that I've seen anywhere, and I would live there if I could. If you like architecture that is different, you can stay there too. I think it costs around US$30-50 for a room, and we would have stayed if we'd had time. And yeah, the coffee is pretty good, especially when drunk in a fantasy cave house.

#5 Posted: 9/4/2007 - 22:38

• noflyzone

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2010

Bumping some old stuff today, but...

...you can stay in the Crazy House and maybe you should. It's much more expensive than the usual, but it's one of a kind. It's pretty badly made once you get up close, the curtains are terrible and there're few mod cons. Tourists will be rattling your door at 7AM.

But.

You will be staying in somewhere you will probably never replicate. You can watch sunrise/set in the house. You can wander through the marvellousness at night, with no-one around. You can take tea and talk to the tourists wandering through your room. You can have a bear for a fireplace...

#6 Posted: 4/7/2010 - 10:50

• buster80

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2010

Do you have any info on where we can book this??

#7 Posted: 4/7/2010 - 23:35

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I just did a quick google and came up with a couple of online booking options:

http://www.hotelvietnamonline.com/dalat/crazyhouse/index.htm
    http://www.hotels-in-vietnam.com/hotels/Dalat/crazyhouse_hotel.html

I'm sure there are more... and I can't vouch for the above booking sites, as I only came across them via google.

#8 Posted: 5/7/2010 - 03:41

• buster80

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2010

Thanks busylizzy,
    Ive had a wee look at the reviews on a different site, think i will just go for a visit rather than try and stay!

#9 Posted: 6/7/2010 - 20:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.