Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

15 days in Vietnam - help with plan

• galyamal

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2012

Hi,

we are a couple in their early 30th, and we have 19 days to Vietnam and Cambodia (in which we mainly plan to visit the Angkor Vat temples).

What we have so far as a plan (mind you, we travel a week from now...) is:

Days 1 and 2 - Hanoi (we arrive at day "0" at the evening, so days 1 and 2 are full days)
    Days 3 an 4 - Ha Long bay
    Day 5 - back from Ha Long bay to Hanoi, and catch the night train to Sa Pa
    Days 6, 7, 8 - Sa Pa and surroundings, catch night train back to Hanoi
    Day 9 - Hanoi again
    Day 10 - Day trip to Tam Coc
    Day 11 - Noon flight to Da Lat (in which we don't plan to see much)
    Days 12-14 - "Easy Riders" style trip from Da Lat to HCMC
    Day 15 - Day trip in Mekong Delta
    Day 16 - Exhausting 12hrs bus ride to Siem Reap
    Days 17, 18 - Angkor Vat temples
    Day 19 - a little of Siem Reap and an afternoon boarding to flight home.

Does this sound OK/too much? if too much - what should be extended and on the expense of what?

Thanks in advance! Alon and Galya

#1 Posted: 24/3/2012 - 09:08

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Too much for me, but I'm not doing that itinerary! I would drop Tam Coc as well as the Delta (day trips don't work too well - just too much time spent on the road).

#2 Posted: 24/3/2012 - 12:48

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Having taken an Easy Rider tour from Dalat, I would highly suggesting continuing with them to the Mekong Delta. We had a 9-day tour and wanted to stay in HCMC for 2 nights rather than keep moving,so negotiated a reduced rate for that day to give the guys a 'day off' in HCMC. They were able to take us to places in the Delta that we never would have seen otherwise - a fanastic experience.

They took us through to Can Tho, from where we caught a mini-bus to Chau Doc. In Chau Doc, we organised the boat to Phnom Penh easily enough.

Having said all of that - I agree with daawgon, there's a fair bit of moving around in your itinerary. Skip Tam Coc, and maybe consider cutting down Halong Bay to one night.

#3 Posted: 24/3/2012 - 14:34

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I like your itnerary. But I would agree that you could skip Tam Coc - and even cut down Halong - and give yourself an extra day elsewhere (somewhere else you are going, not somewhere new!).

Although the Easy Rider's through to the Mekong sounds amazing, it doesn't look like you'll have time to do that justice, particularly as you need to get to Siem Reap, not just PP. But as you're not planning on spending any time in HCMC anyway, maybe you can go straight from Dalat to the Mekong with Easy Riders... I have no idea what's achievable in terms of travelling times and so on.

#4 Posted: 24/3/2012 - 19:40

• galyamal

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2012

Thanks for all of the replies - we have amended our plan accordingly, canceled the tam-coc and makong day tours for a four-days easy riders ride from dalat to HCMC.

Thanks, Alon and Galya.

#5 Posted: 27/3/2012 - 14:13

• easygoing

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2006

As said above I would drop Tam Coc and maybe do the day trip from Hanoi
    to Perfume Pagoda easier to do from Hanoi City ,
    I have also heard that there are major construction work,s going on at the moment which can cause major traffic delay,s
    PS when staying in Dalat try to stay at dream,s hotel ,very good hotel

#6 Posted: 29/3/2012 - 23:11

• ecotravelvi-
    etna

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2012

Why don't you come Hoi An ancient town? This is a value place to visit in your trip. 15 days is enough for spend 2 days here. You can cut down 1 day free in Hanoi and Dalat or Sapa.

#7 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 06:48

• pauletta1979

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2012

Do not know when will you go but 19 days will be too hard for you. We have been to Vietnam last year for 27 days and hope to come back this year to spend more time and visit Laos & Cambodia as well. Last time we arrange our trip with Paradieso Travel (recommended by our friend), you should meet Mr. Minh the very good travel consultant. See our comment, reviewed by my friend Lisa B: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293924-d1897375-r125630599-Paradieso_Travel_Day_Trips-Hanoi.html#REVIEWS

#8 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 22:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.