Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Motorbiking in Phu Quoc

• subzer06o4

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2007

What are the requirements to drive one of these in Phu Quoc or generally anywhere in Vietnam? Valid drivers license? Age? I also understand hiring a 4WD requires hiring a driver too but unsure about motorbiking...

#1 Posted: 26/3/2007 - 22:06

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I rode all over the island by motorbike -- was never asked for a license (which was lucky as I don't have one, though I do look old enough to have one!).

I'd guess probably in theory you need to have a licence, but day to day it isn't enforced.

You're correct that in hiring a car you need to hire a driver as well.

#2 Posted: 26/3/2007 - 23:35

• subzer06o4

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2007

When you hire a motorbike, besides asking you for the $$$...I would think they would ask if you had a drivers license? Hmmm...

somtam2000, how much to hire (dong or U.S) such bikes in Phu Quoc? Is it by the hour or day? I am planning to stay in Mai House so I can get it from there? What happens if the motorbike runs out of gas, are stations abundant? Can I hold 1 person in the back of the motorbike?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to be surprised when I get there! :)

#3 Posted: 27/3/2007 - 01:06

• prairieox

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

In February, it costs about 100,000 VND per day. I've seen it cheaper to rent in town, but we just rented directly from our guesthouse (almost all guesthouses have them or can arrange for one). Gas was up to us to fill up and there're many gas stations around the island.

The motobike seats two people.

The island roads are pretty quiet with many kilometres of paved road. Have fun!

#4 Posted: 27/3/2007 - 05:52

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you get a motorbike taxi from the airport to Mai House, don't be surprised if the driver offers you his bike when you get there. If he doesn't then I'm sure Mai House will be able to organise something -- motorcycle hire on Phu Quoc is a very casual affair.

About not being asked for a licence -- I've never, ever been asked if I had a licence -- anywhere in Asia!

#5 Posted: 27/3/2007 - 06:28

• lucyhudson

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

Hi

I was on Phu Quoc Island in February and my husband and I rented 2 motorbikes from the guesthouse directly for a whole day. We weren't asked for any license and I think it was about 100,000 dong for the day...

They did show us how to use the bike, change gears etc as this was the first time I had ever ridden one ;-)

We had a great day - but be careful on the roads along from Duon Dong...dusty tracks. The northern part of the island is a proper tarmac road.

Have fun!

#6 Posted: 12/4/2007 - 22:39

• subzer06o4

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2007

Thanks for the tip, would you also recommend bringing an empty 2 litre bottle for filling gas (in the event the motorbike runs out suddenly)?

How about security? I bought a regular bike cable lock to bring so I can secure the motorbike, is this sufficient? I hope thief is not a big problem in Phu Quoc!

#7 Posted: 12/4/2007 - 23:39

• lucyhudson

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

To be honest we didn't buy any extra locks, we just had the ignition key...didn't think about it to be honest!

Neither did we think about gas but I guess that's not a bad shout. Our guesthouse filled it up before we left for the day and we travelled round the whole island and didn't run out...

But better to be careful than not I guess!

#8 Posted: 12/4/2007 - 23:45

• subzer06o4

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2007

Wow, you can actually run through the whole island with a single full tank of gas?!

Have you been to the Duong Dong market? If so, how big is it and can you buy a variety of fruits (imported fresh from HCMC?) from there? Are there many food market stalls for a fast meal?

For actually dining out, where are the nearby restaurants located besides the ones located in Guesthouses? Are there ones you do not recommend going to or to avoid?

Sorry for going a little off topic from the main thread :)

#9 Posted: 13/4/2007 - 00:16

• lucyhudson

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

Yeah we managed on a full tank...but don't rely on me ;-)!

In the evenings we tended to walk along the coast from our Guesthouse along Duong Dong beach...there was a wonderful - and SO cheap - little restaurant right on the sand (can't remember what it was called) which sold fabulous fish curries and all the usual vietnamese fayre. Then slightly further along there was a bar called Eden which sells all sorts of food (from South East Asian Cuisine through to Pizza) - which has a pool table and dancing which we went to quite a few times. Behind Eden there's quite a few other bistro type places - all good, friendly and cheap places. And if you really want to push the boat out (we're talking $15 for a lovely 3 course meal so not too pricey!!) there's a beautiful posh hotel called Le Mercure (or something like that) with tables on the beach and lots of nice wine. We ate there on our last night as a farewell to SE Asia!!

Anyway the island is beautiful and you will have an amaazing time.

Enjoy!

#10 Posted: 13/4/2007 - 15:31

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.