Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Shipping baggage to USA

• vietabroad

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

After my Viet Nam stay, I'll be moving on to China. I'd like to ship a suitcase (about 50 lbs) back to the USA and avoid the extra baggage fees. Any recommendations for a company that will do this? DHL is charging over $400 which is too expensive. I'd like to pay no more than the extra baggage fees I'd have to pay anyway, which will probably be a little over $200.

#1 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 11:43

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I ship items from Thailand all the time - using Thai post... sending it by sea which takes two months. It's quite cheap. I'd check the rates at a Vietnam post office, they might be cheaper, but not as cheap as in Thailand. 50 lbs will be costly.

#2 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 12:37

• stefanw

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2010

I would second the idea of using Vietnamese Post (or whatever it is called). I'm not sure what options are available (sea or air) or the price.

If however they don't have anything or it is ridiculously expensive you could always take your bag to China and send it by airmail from there. I have had a lot of packages (probably up to 30) sent to me from China by airmail. I have only had one package not arrive and it was actually lost by NZ Post.

Bear in mind that if it was to get lost it is almost impossible to find as both postal services will blame each other and say the claim has to be made with the other. And communicating with will be a problem.

#3 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 17:02

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I shipped a package from Hoi An to Oregon - it took over 4 months seamail with VNPT (Vietnamese Postal System) - all posted bags will be opened by US Customs

The only other shipper would be Fedex, and I'm sure the rate would be similar to DHL

You might try United Airlines airfreight if you happen to be in Saigon (they don't fly out of Hanoi)

#4 Posted: 5/4/2012 - 22:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.