Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vientiane to Vinh Bus Advice

Posted by book_reader1 on 5/4/2012 at 01:16

I will be traveling from the Vientiane bus station (GPS 18.0293,102.6501) (this is the Southern Bus Terminal (Dong Dok)) to the Vinh , Vietnam bus station (listed on Google maps as "Bến xe Vinh") (GPS 18.6793,105.6737).

I am going to Hanoi , but I don't want to take a bus all the way. I am, therefore, going to take a bus to Vinh, so I can then walk to the Vinh train station (GPS 18.6882,105.6644) and just take a train to Hanoi from there. Basically, I am going to use a train for as much of my route as I can and use the bus where I have no choice.

My question is this, I am guessing that there is not a specific Vientiane to Vinh bus, so I am guessing I must take a Vientiane to Hanoi bus and simply get off the bus when it stops at Vinh? Also, I am not even sure if the bus will stop at the Vinh bus station I mentioned earlier. Want to take the cheapest bus to Vinh and not concerned about comfort, just want the best bargain.

Sorry if my question seems a little vague, but just doing some research so I make sure I get the best bargain and make sure I get on a bus that will get me to the Vinh train station. What I don't want to do is get dropped off at a bus station that is not the Vinh station I mentioned above as that would require me to tuk-tuk, taxi, etc to the correct station and totally kill my bargain.

I did some research online and even though I know the the Vientiane to Hanoi bus goes near the Vinh area, I don't have a turn by turn bus route map to verify if it is going where I need it to go. Thanks for any help.

#1 book_reader1 has been a member since 5/4/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by book_reader1 on 7/4/2012 at 00:10

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j459/fun_sun1/Vte_Vinh.jpg

Here is a picture with my anticipated route. I feel the portion of the route from Vientiane and through the Keo Nua Pass is correct. However, when it gets closer to Vinh, this is where I am not sure of the route. Does anyone know what bus station it goes to in Vinh?

#2 book_reader1 has been a member since 5/4/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by book_reader1 on 7/4/2012 at 00:27

The bus fare I have been told is 160,000 kip ($20 or 620 baht). Can someone confirm this so I know I am not getting overcharged by Laos people?

I just want to make sure it isn't 80,000 kip for Laos citizen and 160,000 kip for farang.

#3 book_reader1 has been a member since 5/4/2012. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.