Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

my tentative itinerary...is it ok?

• mp3province

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2012

Hi guys! I have been a long time spectator. Now I am planning a trip to Vietnam and Cambodia for 2 weeks. This what I've come up with for MAY 2012.

13th night: del to Hanoi (Sunday)
    14th moring: arrive Hanoi (Monday)
    14th night Hanoi (Monday)
    15th night Hanoi (tuesday)
    16th morning 8AM Hanoi to halong bay (wednesday)******
    16th night on the cuise (wednesday)
    17th be back in Hanoi at 5:30 PM (thursday)
    17th night train to sapa..17th nighton the train (thursday)
    18th morning sapa at 6AM….entire day in sapa (friday)
    18th night sapa (friday)
    19 night train to Hanoi…(saturday)
    20th morning arrive in Hanoi…cacth flight to hcmc((sunday)) ********
    20th night hcmc (sunday)
    21st hcmc (monday)
    22nd morning from hcmc to pnomp penh bubus..night in pp (tuesday) ********
    23rd nightin PP (wedesday)
    24rd nightin PP (thursday)
    25th mornig to sieam reap..get there by 12noon..night in siem reap. (Friday) ********
    26th full day Angkor..night at siem reap.(Saturday)
    27th siem reap to PP,,,NIGHT IN PP. (Sunday)*********
    28th PP back to delhi through BKK (Monday)
    ---
    As for the halong tour I will probably end up going with Handspan as they've got good reviews...no problems with hotels thanks to tripadvisor...lots to choose from..
    Just wanted to know if the above schedule is OK...not too chaotic?
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks from New Delhi!

#1 Posted: 8/4/2012 - 09:05

• Advertisement

• xan310

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2012

I just got back from Vietnam. In my opinion I would not spend time in Saigon, there is not much to see. I rather spend an extra day at Ha Long Bay. If you do an image search on Google for Saigon you will see there are many photos of the same places which tells you there is not much to see. Hanoi is a better city to visit. I think if you are stopping in BKK for the flight back to India I would much rather spend my days there instead of Saigon.

#2 Posted: 8/4/2012 - 10:01

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Chances are very good that you will miss that train to Lao Cai (Sapa) since you are returning the same day from your cruise - you will also be extremely tired once you land in the Highlands. Two countries in 2 weeks is not recommended - my advice is to choose either Vietnam or Cambodia - not both!

#3 Posted: 9/4/2012 - 22:12

• mp3province

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2012

daawgon:

The tour states that they we will be dropped off in Hanoi no later than 6 PM.

The train, leaves at 8:30 PM....

How long does it take to go from where Handspan Tours drops you off, and getting to the train station.

Thanks!

#4 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 04:32

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Six places in two weeks = roughly two days per place = madness.

You could easily spend two weeks in Northern Vietnam, which is what I would do here.

One week in Hanoi and one week between HB and Sapa. You will much prefer this I think when you return home and remember the relaxing time you had rather than the constant travel, travel, travel.

Just an opinion though.

#5 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 04:46

• pauletta1979

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Your spend too much time in Hanoi and Saigon, no need to stay exceed 2 night there. Its better if you contact some travel company to help you with consultant.

#6 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 21:51

• jojoaus

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2011

It sounds like a packed schedule!! We are going to Vietnam in June and I have learned a bit from reading these fora. We were in Cambodia last year, and only had 6 days. We stayed 2 nights in PP then caught a bus to Siem Reap. It is a beautiful place! 1 day is simply not enough time to see the Wats. Ankor is stunning in an imposing way but for me the most beautiful Wat is the Tomb Raider one (I forget it's real name, oops). Then there are several others worth looking at- the Lady Wat was built by- yep, ladies- and is soooo beautiful. You need to hire a guide to get any value out of the trip too. Ours was recommended by a friend and was a real sweetheart- ex monk who knew and loved his country's history.

Anyway, I am sure you will love Siem Reap. The restaurants are lovely and incredibly cheap. Our most expensive meal was US$14 and that included 2 cocktails! Enjoy the trip

#7 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 00:34

• jonice08

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

Hi, my wife and I are planning a similar trip in January...however it was my concern that visiting both Cambodia and Vietnam over 2 weeks may be a bit too tight!! Considering that our interests include seeing the temples, experiencing the culture and obviously spending some down time on beaches...which of the 2 would you recommend? Both countries are full of history that no matter how much reasearch you do, choosing one from the other is a difficult decision to make!!

Your ffedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
    John.

#8 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 03:01

• xan310

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2012

Jonice08, as far as I know there are no interesting temples to visit in Vietnam. The nicer temples must be in Cambodia but the nice beaches are in Vietnam (Hoi An and Ha Long Bay). I think you can do both countries in 2 weeks just focus on the cities you want to see. The big cities in Vietnam are not nice and the air is very polluted so if you don't have the time to see them just skip it, if you want to visit a big city in Vietnam I would go for Hanoi. I can't tell you about Cambodia because I've never been there. Another option is Thailand, it has both of what you are looking for and top notch. Chiang Mai and BKK for the temples and the Phuket/ Krabi area for the beaches.

#9 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 11:43

• jonice08

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

xan310, thank you for your reply. Thank you for your comments. I was under the impression from what I've read so far that Cambodia is the place for visiting temples and Vietnam for the beaches...though your comments will help me plan our trip better.

Thanks,
    John.

#10 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 14:49

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Tentative Itinerary ... By terryMac on 21 Nov 2008 1 1364 21 Nov 2008
Request for Expert Opinion on my Tentative One-Month Itinerary ... By srk052004 on 22 May 2009 5 1817 8 Jun 2009
Tentative 3.5 week itinerary - need help guesstimating a daily budget ... By FreeSombrero on 24 Sep 2013 6 833 24 Sep 2013