Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Sapa weather & trekking

• zohe

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2007

I heard that Sapa can be pretty chilling. Do i need additional warm clothing if i'm travelling to Sapa in early may?

For the trekking trips, is it recommended to walk with a trekking boots or any other shoe or even slippers are fine?

#1 Posted: 31/3/2007 - 12:17

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

it will be pretty cool, but not freezing -- a long sleeved top and trousers would be a good start. Sturdy sandals should be fine - not sure about trekking slippers!

#2 Posted: 31/3/2007 - 21:51

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

The really cold weather has passed (snow in January this year instead of February) but you still take a hooded rain jacket and a sweater.

Both these can be purchased at low cost in Ha Noi's Russian Market (so called because they were so cheap when they were in the country).

And avoid using a Ha Noi travel agents for this trip - just go and order your Lao Cai ticket a couple of days before travelling.

#3 Posted: 1/4/2007 - 22:42

• zohe

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2007

thanks much somtam & catba for your fast reply.

btw what is a lao cai ticket, catba? why shd we avoid hanoi travel agent for this trip? is it usually a rip off? the last time i visited halong bay (about 3 yrs ago) we did it with a travel agent. it seems everyone else is doing that way. there was a slight misunderstand along the way, but everything turns out alright. food was bad though. :P

#4 Posted: 2/4/2007 - 10:03

• mifox2

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

24/3/10
    I just got back from a 3-day 2-night trek in Sapa and it was amazing. We booked with a place called 'Lanterns.' It's on the main road in Sapa. If you're walking uphill, it's a little bit past the Nature Bar and Grill and the Bebop Bar. The trek cost $33 USD total. Our guide Thuy spoke very good English and it was great getting to know him. Our trek consisted of hiking 15km per day. We visited 5 or 6 villages along the way and stayed in 2 villages at a home stay. The homestays were nice. They even had hot water showers! We are vegetarians and the food was delicious. We even got tofu for dinner both nights. Make sure you wear good shoes and bring warm clothes! I would recommend sneakers, pants, and a fleece. I would definitely recommend this tour. Ask for Thuy as your guide! This place also has the cheapest train tickets I could find back to Hanoi at $16 USD for a 6 bed sleeper.

A quick word about the hilltribe women. These women will follow you for your entire trek, and at the end they will expect you to buy something from them for $5-10. I think the situation is pretty absurd, and buying something from them only encourages this behavior. I have been told that the parents now choose which children will go to school and which ones will follow the tourists. We refused to buy anything the first day. The second day we told them right away that we would not buy anything from them so they were wasting their time if they followed us. It worked, and none of them followed us on the second day.

It is definitely cheaper to book in Sapa rather than Hanoi.
    Here is the info I have on their card:

The store is called Trekking-Adventure
    Cafe of Smiles
    Vu Van Huy
    18 Cau May Str
    Sa Pa
    Tel: (84) 203 872 037
    Mobile: 09855 09351
    email: cafeofsmiles@gmail.com
    www.vietnamnomadtrails.net

#5 Posted: 25/3/2010 - 20:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.