Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Mekong Delta advice

• junebug

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2012

We'd like to visit the Mekong Delta for a few days as part of our route from HCMC-Phu Quoc-Siem Reap, but are undecided how best to incorporate this and which towns to include. We have about 3 days budgeted for the delta (an additional 3 days in Phu Quoc). A couple of options we thought of:

1) Take bus from HCMC to a town such as Ben Tre / Vinh Long/Tra Vinh for a 1-2 days, then onward to Can Tho for the floating markets. Fly from Can Tho to Phu Quoc. Leaving Phu Quoc we'd take the ferry to Ha Tien and catch the bus up to Phnom Penh .

2) Fly from HCMC to Phu Quoc. Leaving Phu Quoc, take ferry to Ha Tien and travel to Chau Doc for a couple of days, then take a boat up to Phnom Penh or maybe all the way to Siemp Reap (?).

Any advice? Option 2 would perhaps be less rushed and easier- we'll already be at the HCMC airport as we're flying there from Hue, so we could just hop on the flight to Phu Quoc rather than finding our way to the bus station. But I'd hate to miss out on Can Tho and the other smaller towns such as Ben Tre sound lovely too. Is there enough to do in Chau Doc? The Tra Su bird sanctuary looks interesting (we'll be there in Dec., not sure when the best time to visit this would be). Any other towns in that area that would be worth a visit? We're mainly interested in just observing the way of life, seeing the floating markets and scenery, maybe some cycling if we can find bicycles to rent. If anyone has opions on which area they like the best, I'd appreciate it! Thanks! [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#1 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 07:57

• Advertisement

• JasonB

Click here to learn more about JasonB
    Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you wanna visit the Mekong, you shouldn't miss Chau Doc . So many nice activities to do in Chau Doc. You can see Chau Doc floating village here on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIWLDy7nMHk

So I suggest you to do the first one :

1) Take bus from HCMC to a town such as Ben Tre / Vinh Long/Tra Vinh for a 1-2 days, then onward to Can Tho for the floating markets. Fly from Can Tho to Phu Quoc. Leaving Phu Quoc we'd take the ferry to Ha Tien and catch the bus up to Phnom Penh .

But you can cut off Vinh Long then add more time for Tra Vinh. You will love Tra Vinh.
    Hope you have a nice trip.

#2 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 19:53

• junebug

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2012

Thanks! I'm assuming you were being sarcastic about chau doc as the video wasn't very appealing. Think we will go with option 1 and visit either Ben tre or tra vinh before can tho. Not sure we'll have time for both. Actually, is it possible to get from Ben tre to can tho via tra vinh? Most things I've read say you need to go back through my tho, but it seems public transport routes in the Mekong change frequently so was wondering if that is still the case.

#3 Posted: 23/5/2012 - 10:00

• pollitoriqu-
    ito

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2012

Hi,

I am considering doing this route as well in Sept.

Right now I've been looking at:

15 Sep. Arrive to HCMC from Europe
    18 Sep. Fly HCMC-Phu Quoc
    21 Sep. Fly Phu Quoc- Can Tho
    22 Sep. Boat Can Tho - Chau Doc
    23 Sep. Boat Chau Doc - Phnom Penh

What do you all think?
    Should I skip something?
    Am I missing out on anything worthwhile?
    I have 2 or 3 days I can play with from other parts of the itinerary. I plan on 10 days approx. in Vietnam, a week in Cambodia, and 10 days in Thailand (one island, maybe two, and Bangkok).

#4 Posted: 27/5/2012 - 06:19

• Xperiencer

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,
    There are no boats leaving from Can Tho - Chau Doc , buses leave Can Tho - Chau Doc every two hours or you may like to book a car and driver that drives you up to Chau Doc, either way.

Staying over in Can Tho, stay at Nam Mon The Boutique Hotel. Nice, clean and arresting modern hotel design. The staff there speak good english and helpful. The owner is ran by a young couple from Singapore and Vietnam, provides the best service experience in town. The hotel cater to budget travelers like you and me, tours are available are at the front desk with english speaking guides, rates are resonable and affordable too. They know what a traveler wants and needs. If you are there, ask for a bigger room space, I am sure the owner by the name of Bryan can accomodate you on that.

#5 Posted: 10/6/2012 - 20:41

• alenathai181

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2012
    Location Vietnam

Another suggestion after mekong delta trip. end in Rach Gia and next morning take speed boat to Phu quoc island

#6 Posted: 7/7/2012 - 03:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mekong Delta Tour advice PLEASE ... By freebird on 2 Dec 2009 2 3524 5 Dec 2009
Mekong Delta ... By OregonDuck541 on 30 May 2014 2 382 31 May 2014
B&B in Can Tho (Mekong Delta) ... By naturemekong on 7 Nov 2008 1 3126 7 Nov 2008
Mekong Delta - doing it on your own ... By pjsolomon76 on 27 Feb 2009 5 6431 18 Mar 2009
mekong delta help ... By uktravelman on 3 Oct 2009 1 2412 4 Oct 2009
Mekong Delta - Sa Dec ... By rdavout on 13 Sep 2008 0 2984 13 Sep 2008
Mekong Delta ... By mrbangkok on 26 Oct 2009 1 2467 26 Oct 2009
Mekong Delta ... By brinner on 28 Sep 2006 15 4208 29 Nov 2006
Mekong Delta ... By Vero123 on 7 Jul 2011 9 6457 18 Sep 2011
Mekong Delta ... By dutoy on 26 Feb 2007 1 2721 5 Mar 2007