Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Where do we start?

• bamjitsu1

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2012

Flying in to HCMC and out of Hanoi. (or the other way) 3 weeks in August.
    Planning to go from HCMC to Hoi An, possibly Sapa as well and where ever else we stop. But are wanting to also go to Cambodia before we start heading North. Do you think we would have enough time to get to Siem Reap then travel up the Vietnam coast.
    Im worried about the time spent on travel to and from SR from HCMC. I dont want it to be rush rush rush the whole time. But we'd love to see Angkor Wat etc.
    I looked up flights from SR but they are super expensive! so we wont be doing that.
    Any suggestions on this would be awesome.
    Ive spent the past 5+ hours looking up things and my brain is fried!

#1 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 06:54

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

3 weeks is barely enough time to make 3 or 4 stops in Vietnam - leave Cambodia for another time. I would only spend a day or 2 in Saigon before heading north to Hoi An/Danang, and then on to the Hanoi area and Sapa. You just need more time - moving from place to place in this country takes quite a lot of time - that's why I fly. Where to start - right here at Travelfish (great features and blogs). Get recommendations for hotels, airlines and travel agents so you won't be scammed too frequently.

#2 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 13:26

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Start here: http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/vietnam-hanoi-to-saigon.

THen start reading up on the places that interest you to fine-tune your plans. If you're not wanting to fly to Siem Reap, then I'd suggest skipping Siem Reap, too. Don't underestimate how long it takes to get from one place to the next - including your check in/out times, travel time to/from bus stations, etc, waiting time - and then the lengthy travel times! At the end of each itinerary in the planning section is an indication of travel times - use those as a guideline.

#3 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 14:50

• ecotravelvn

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2012
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,
    think of visit Ho CHi Minh city , then take flight to Siem reap and visit. Then back HoChiminh city and go on your trip in Vietnam if you cannot book fly directly from your country to Siem Reap before arriving Vietnam. This is my suggest for brief itinerary
    D1: HCM arr
    D2: HCM city & Cu Chi
    D3: hCM - Mekong Delta
    D4:Mekong delta - HCM
    D5: HCM - fly to Siem Reap & visit
    D6: Visit Angkor wat
    D7: Visit Angkor
    D8: Visit Siem reap & fly back Hochiminh afternoon
    D9: hochiminh - fly Nhatrang
    D10: Nha Trang visit
    D11: Nha Trang - fly Danang
    D12: Visit Hoian - My Son
    D13: Visit Tra Que village & cooking class
    D14: Hoi An - Hue
    D15: Hue city & fly to hanoi
    D16: Hanoi city - night train to Lao Cai
    D17: Sapa visit
    D18: Sapavisit - night train back Hanoi
    D19: Hanoi - halong
    D20: halong - hanoi
    D21: Hanoi depart

Or you can cut a place you don't want to visit Phu Quoc island at least 2 days, or Dalat city 2 days. Or choose to home stay in Sapa.
    Sunny welcome

#4 Posted: 23/6/2012 - 10:11

• oceansrepub-
    lic

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2012

keep in mind u need a multiple entry visa for VN if u do that....I recon fly in hanoi...make your way to halong...forget danang...go to Hoi An, Nha Trang (short stop over), Dalat (highlands), Mui Ne beach for relaxing...Saigon....take a bus to Phnom Penh (8+) hours then siam reap...fly out of Phnom Phen again or even Siam Reap....

#5 Posted: 23/6/2012 - 12:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.