Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

how long to spend in Vietnam

• Lisa86

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

Hi lovely Travelers!!
    Im A Kiwi Gal from New Zealand
    I will be heading over to SE asia start of sep! 1st time [img]smileys/bigsmile.gif[/img]
    would 4weeks be enough in Vietnam? im a relaxed traveler that likes to chill an go with the flow [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]
    also im spending 4weeks in Cambodia an 4weeks in Laos so would 3 or 4 weeks be enough in Vietnam be long enough!? so much to see an do! also any advice on how much to buget aweek? im gana be doing it cheap az possible..
    any advice would be great!

#1 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 03:04

• Advertisement

• Lisa86

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

sounds amazing!
    any idea on how much to buget 4 aweek? would $200nz be enough?

#2 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 03:44

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Wow - it's nice to finally see an itinerary where someone is taking a bit of time in each country they visit!

Four weeks will be a good time to see the highlights of Vietnam at a reasonable pace, from Hanoi/Halong Bay right down to HCMC and the Delta area. If you can spend more time there, I think there would be plenty to do and places off the beaten track that would be rewarding. You have allowed 4 weeks in Cambodia which is possibly a bit long - maybe consider adding an extra week or two in Vietnam and cutting back there.

To give you an idea, I spent 4 weeks in Vietnam and got to Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Hoi An, Dalat, Nha Trang and, Dalat. From Dalat, I did a 9-day Easy Rider motorbike trip through the Central Highlands, down to HCMC and on through to Chau Doc - and this was an absolute highlight of my trip to see places and meet locals off the tourist trail.

I didn't make it to places like Sapa , Phu Quoc and Mui Ne. In hindsite, I would perhaps have traded out Nha Trang for Sapa - but other than that, I was happy with my itinerary.

Hope that helps.

Lisa (also from NZ!)

#3 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 04:08

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

OK - just re-read your post after posting, and picked up this time that you are doing this as cheap as possible - that means that you probably won't be flying anywhere. If that is the case, you will need to be prepared for some pretty long bus or train trips (eg Hanoi to Hue)!

In terms of budgets, I was spending about NZ$42/day - until I did the EasyRider trip, which put the overall daily cost up to about $60. However, I was sharing accom, and was aiming for 'flashpacker' places (ie US$12-25/night).

BTW - the posts above mine are just spam. I've reported them to Somtam.

#4 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 04:13

• Lisa86

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

wow thank you!!! iv heard alot now about these easy rider tours sounds like the way to go over the highlands etc i will spash out and do that.
    wow 40aday i might spend abit less az i wont be staying in flashpackers haha.
    your path looks great! also ill add in sapa.. going off the beaten track sounds more like me! so maybe 3weeks in cambodia an 5weeks in vietnam? im getting a little plan together with out planing to much if you get what i mean.. this trip is all about seeing where the road will take me..
    thank you so much im so excited! good to see anthor kiwi haha did you meet meany over there?

#5 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 04:26

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I agree with taking a week off Cambodia and adding it to Vietnam. Don't worry too much about the ride from Hanoi to Hue - it is a quick sleeper train, you'll arrive in Hue early in the morning and save cash on a hotel room that night.

#6 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 05:21

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Just remember that if you do extend your time in Vietnam, you'll need to sort out a longer visa for the extended period.

#7 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 05:51

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

"any idea on how much to buget 4 aweek? would $200nz be enough?"

That's about US$22. a day - that might do you in the boonies, but in the urban centers I would double that.
    I believe that Vietnam is more expensive than the rest of Indochina.

I personally budget US$60. a day for myself - I do like a little more comfort since I'm a senior citizen (flashpacker).

#8 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 12:53

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I think you should stay in Cambodia and Laos for a week/country or less because there is not many places to visit (as my opinion)

Rubbish! This is coming from another Vietnamese travel agent posting for the first time on this forum. Of course he'll say there is less to do in Cambodia and Laos.

With respect to budgets, you need to be careful when you ask people how much you should allow. I mentioned NZ$42/day, and that includes accom (shared, flashpacker), cheap meals (either local style or small, cheap tourist-type restaurants), activities, tours, taxis, and bus/train/ferries as the case may be. It does exclude the flight from Hanoi to Hue (NZ$87 at the time for a last minute booking) and alcoholic drinks. And that was at the end of 2009 - sorry, I forgot time has moved on and it's been nearly 3 years already!

Either way, even if you are going budgety, I do think you will need to at least double your weekly allowance. Better to allow a bit more and know that you're not preventing yourself from doing stuff because of the fear of running out of money.

#9 Posted: 16/5/2012 - 15:32

• Lisa86

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

all your help has been fantasic!
    ok ill buget for 250nz aweek or even a little more im really keen to do the easyrider tourz! i see they are 60us aday but i guess i could splash out 4 that az it sounds like the thing not to miss! so 3weeks in Canbodia and 4 or 3weeks in Laos. im planing but trying not to plan to much so i can go with the flow.
    What beachs do u recomend to cheack out?
    also did you here of any moter bike tourz that was less than 60us aday?
    ok now the questions arefollowing haha.. if i was to do a 4day trek do you reakon it is safe to leave my big backpack at a guesthouse an just take a little backpac?

#10 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 02:08

• Advertisement

• Lisa86

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

great thank you!!! i will look into proper giuded tours when i get there.
    and i will look you up when i get there i look forward to meeting you! I will bring somthing nice from New Zealand for you and your family

#11 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 03:18

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Hey there, of the three countries you are planning to visit I found Vietnam the cheapest, which surprised me as it is not as poor as Cambodia or Laos. I think it was probably due to food and drink being so cheap as we ate a lot street food (which can drive down your budget) and drank bia hoi.

#12 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 09:22

• Lisa86

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

cool thanks i guess it just depends on what kind of travelier you are im gana be doing it very cheap! i guess when i get to each town ill walk round to find a cheap place to stay

#13 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 15:22

• mitsophie

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

a month is quite enough to travel in Vietnam, you should choose some famous detinations depending on your interest. but I have some suggestions: Hanoi, Sapa, north-west region, Ha Long Bay, Hoi An old quarter, Da Nang, Nha Trang, Da Lat, Ho Chi Minh City, Mekong Delta, etc.

#14 Posted: 7/7/2012 - 04:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Lisa,
    I would recommend you don't attach timelines to anything anywhere in your trip. Have a rough outline, stay at a place until it wears on you, the move on. You get to what you get to. You don't get to what you don't get to. This place is about chillin' - which you seem to be aware of. Don't worry about what you see and don't see. Just come and have a good time.You stay five weeks in Vietnam, so be it. You never get to one of these countries at all... no sweat. Catch it another time.

#15 Posted: 7/7/2012 - 05:48

• Lisa86

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

thanks 4 all the great replys :) madmac thinks thats what im gana do.. go with the flow an see where the road takes me :)

#16 Posted: 7/7/2012 - 16:20

• harry666

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2011

yes have to agree with madmac i spent 2 months in vietnam easy to extend your visa there is a lot to see its a great place from a fellow kiwi

#17 Posted: 20/8/2012 - 11:02

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Prices are definitely on the rise all over Indochina, but you can still find bargains if you really look. You could easily spend 6 weeks in Vietnam and not see it all. I hope you've done your homework and studied the current scams alive in the area, and are aware of the dangers of Vietnamese roads (especially those sleeper buses). You will meet many many other Western backpackers on the trail - be careful!

One additional word of warning (I've read about other Kiwis out and about for the first time who have discovered that not everyone is as civilized as they are at home). Indochina is poor and that comes with a few problems. Don't trust people who approach you on the street for one reason or another. Don't carry a flimsy bag/camera that someone could rip off your back or out of your hands very easily. Know that should you have a problem/theft that the local police will probably not be much help at all (they also expect to be paid for their services). It's a cruel cruel world out there, but generally the locals you will meet are extremely friendly.

#18 Posted: 21/8/2012 - 11:13

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"I've read about other Kiwis out and about for the first time who have discovered that not everyone is as civilized as they are at home"

Trust me - we have our fair share of the 'uncivilised' here, too! There is no excuse for Kiwi naivety. Just keep your senses about you and you will be fine.

#19 Posted: 21/8/2012 - 14:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How long should I spend travelling SEA? ... By maabee on 14 Oct 2012 5 4398 14 Oct 2012
How long to spend in Chiang Mai? ... By sackonmyback on 25 Jul 2006 1 2685 25 Jul 2006
How long to spend in Vientiene and Luang Prabang?? ... By scahn on 10 Jun 2010 9 13969 12 Jun 2010
2 Weeks in Cambodia - How long to spend in each place? ... By scahn on 10 Jun 2010 12 12005 16 Sep 2010