Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Couple Travelling in Veitnam

• kestrell83

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Hi all,
    We are a couple in our mid 20,s looking to travel Veitnam in oct for possibly 4 weeks, Looking for some helpfull tips on The best way to get around, place,s to see and of course how much we should expect to pay on a daily basis,

Thanks
    Kestrell83

#1 Posted: 22/5/2012 - 18:58

• Advertisement

• susannna

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012

The best way to get around we think is the airlines. Vietnam airlines is a good one but more expensive than Jetstar. Use train for some routes such as from Hanoi to Sapa or from Hue to Hanoi. Please never use bus in Vietnam as it is terrible and much chance of accidents! We visit Saigon, My Tho, Hoian, Hue, Hanoi and Halong Bay. Halong Bay is wonderful and you must see it by your own eyes!

#2 Posted: 22/5/2012 - 19:56

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

There's plenty of info on this site - both in the Vietnam section, and in the forum. I'd suggest you start trolling through to start getting a few ideas together - most of what you are looking for is covered already. It's hard to answer a very broad question without knowing anything about you, your travel interests, travel style, etc.

Check out the Vietnam suggested itineraries in the Planning section to get you started.

#3 Posted: 22/5/2012 - 21:22

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I thoroughly agree with Lizzy - you are on the very best site for info on SE Asia - you need to read as much as possible and do your homework before you attempt travel to this country. Failure to do so will result in much unhappiness. There is far more to T'fish than just the forums!

#4 Posted: 23/5/2012 - 21:54

• kestrell83

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Thanks Guys,
    We are starting our trip in Phucket in Oct, Looking at travelling around Thialand for 3-4 weeks then head into Veitnam for mayb 2-3 weeks, not looking for a beach holiday but more sight seeing and travelling around, should we fly from Thailand to Veitnam, is starting in the south at Saigon a good idea then head northwords?

How much should we expect to pay on a daily basis, i,e meals? accomm? transport?

Thanks
    Kestrell83

#5 Posted: 24/5/2012 - 13:47

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

That means you will arrive in Vietnam in very late Oct or early Nov? You should know that the Central Coast of VN experiences storms (typhoon) at that time which can flood the area. Therefore, you need to be very flexible with your destinations. The later in the year you come, the less the chance of storms (in my experience). I'm coming myself the end of Nov.

How much? In the past, I budgeted $50. a day for myself (flashpacker), but due to inflation I will now allow $60. a day. Yes, it can be done for less - I would estimate a bottom of $45. for everything. Hanoi and Saigon will be more expensive than places like Hoi An or Hue. Food is quite inexpensive here, and you can really save by eating at street stalls - quality is usually very good if you are selective.

I recommend air travel (I avoid Jetstar, but use the others: Vietnam Air, Air Mekong and Vietjet Air). The train can be used for shorter trips - longer trips can be very uncomfortable and just waste your time.

One place you might not have considered is Laos - really a wonderful place (less developed than Vietnam, and fewer scams/aggression than you find in Vietnam). Luang Prabang is one of the most beautiful and relaxing destinations in all of Asia!

#6 Posted: 25/5/2012 - 12:47

• lee_vk

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2012

Ah Kestrel,

You are about to set out on a fantastic journey - You're going to see a huge difference between Thailand and Vietnam. Firstly, Thailand, when compared to Vietnam, is extremely touristic, which is great because you'll be starting you're SEA journey here and want the kind of comforts the country can offer. But, be prepared to have your wits about you in Vietnam, it's a whole new kettle of fish!

As regards to starting in Hanoi or Saigon, well it makes little odds either way, just remember that as of November the North begins to experience it's winter.

I would well and truly suggest flying from Thailand to Vietnam, that is assuming you've got the money for such expenses. If not, you'll be looking at some horrendous bus journeys through Laos/Cambodia. As mentioned ny susannna, it all depends on the type of travellers you are. If you're happy to 'rough it' then the busses will be a great experience - if not at times slightly unsettling (western road rules do not apply in SEA).

This being said, I well and truly advise against using domestic flights. At the end of the day, you've come to explore the country, and the best way to do this is on the ground. If you decide to start in Hanoi (one of my favourite cities in SEA) you may wish to take the train down to Hue . This is quite some distance and the night busses aren't exactly comfortable. If you're not looking for beaches and relaxation, spend a bit of time around here. You can venture off, using Hue as your base, and find some pretty cool places of cultural and natural interest. If you're feeling really adventurous there's the possibility of motorbiking it from Hue to Hoi An - this is a truly awesome piece of Vietnamese coastline, well worth checking out. You can rent motor bikes with Hue Backpackers Hostel, who will also drop your bags at your accommodation in Hoi Ann, so there's no need to worry about carrying them around with you. The bike ride takes a full day and can be done with a tour guide or on your lonesome! For the rest of the journey I'd suggest taking the bus - perhaps even braving one 'night bus' from Hoi An to Nha Trang.

When you arrive in Vietnam you'll find lots of tour companies trying to sell 5/6 stop bus tickets. These are a great, cost effective ways of experiencing the country and allow you to 'hop on' and 'hop off' as you please, with no real timescale.

additional advise - Mui Ne is a very much beach orientated stop off, if you're really not wanting much beach time, I'd suggest skipping it and instead heading to De Lat (which is a mountainous city, fairly over looked by the average backpacker). Once you arrive in Saigon (or if you start there), make sure you explore the lower Mekong, perhaps taking of the tours offered within the city.

Money wise, it really does depend on the conditions you're will to suffer - stick to night busses, cheap hotels and street food - you could be looking at as low as $30 a day (including travel). in Hanoi there's a hostel called the Hanoi Backpackers Hostel which offers cheap dorm beds, which are clean and incredibly comfy.

Hope this helps,

Lee

#7 Posted: 25/5/2012 - 15:13

• rainbow007

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi kestrell83

4 weeks in Vietnam, indeed too much time, why do not you add Cambodia or Laos, it is quite interesting to have a couple of day to visit Cambodia

#8 Posted: 6/6/2012 - 10:00

• Vietnam720

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009
    Location Singapore

Link to Vietnam's info, as mentioned by Lizzy and Daawgon is here: http://www.travelfish.org/country/vietnam

Many other links within the link above for a comprehensive guide. You will find them useful [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#9 Posted: 7/6/2012 - 19:13

• ecotravelvn

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2012
    Location Vietnam

Hello,
    4 weeks in Vietnam to make a trip from North to South or vice versa.
    You can visit as below:
    Ha Noi city
    Halong Bay
    Sa Pa 4 days - travel on trains from Ha Noi to Lao Cai
    Ha Noi to Hue by night train
    Visit Hue
    Hue - Phong Nha cave & Thien Duong cave
    hue - Hoi An
    Hoi An - Da Nang - train to Nha Trang
    Nha Trang
    Nha Trang - Da Lat by coach or private car (because no train)
    Da Lat - Mui Ne by coach or priavte car
    Mui Ne - Ho CHi Minh
    Ho CHi Minh - Cu Chi - Mekong delta
    Speed boat from Rach Gia - Phu Quoc island
    Phu Quoc island
    Back Ho CHi Minh city by plane
    Ho Chi Minh depart

There are many things to see in Vietnam in 4 weeks, more option to choose

Sunny welcome!

#10 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 09:23

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Gay couple travelling to Burma ... By hayles623 on 1 Sep 2013 6 1641 20 Sep 2013
Couple travelling in Thialand ... By kestrell83 on 22 May 2012 7 2451 27 May 2012
First timer Couple travelling through SEA Aug-Dec 2013 ... By shaunjansen on 17 Dec 2012 3 1547 17 Dec 2012
Couple travelling Indonesia for x2 weeks advice needed ... By slow_mo on 16 Jan 2013 7 1703 29 Jan 2013