Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

HCMC or Nha Trang for new years?

• ellerose

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2012

Any recommendations for where to spend new years in the south of Vietnam for my friend and I? We will be arriving in HCMC on the 26th of December. Thank you

#1 Posted: 8/6/2012 - 21:45

• Advertisement

• aney

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2012

Hi Elle, You should spend new year in HCMC, there are many foreigner here so they will spend and celebrate the new year with you. Nha Trang still be good, but for the Lunar New Year will be reasonable.
    Aney Nguyen
    (aney.nguyen@gmail.com)

#2 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 02:20

• ecotravelvn

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2012
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

Both 2 cities are tourism so you can spend your Christmas. If you would like to have active time you should spend in Ho Chi minh city. Nha Trang is quieter than

#3 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 09:15

• stephenpham

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2012

Phu Quoc island is very best place for your New Year vacation

#4 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 10:50

• vinadive

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2012

I agree with ecotravelvn opinion, Nha Trang and HCM, both are tourism cities, so each place has typical tourism strongpoints. HCM is more crowded, effervescent and bustling than Nha Trang, but on Tet, Nha Trang is in contrast - I think. In Nha Trang, you can enjoy the fresh air, with beautiful long white sand beach, enjoy the peace pace of life....go for sightseeing city tour, such as: Long Son pagoda, Nui Church, Oceanography Institute, Chong Rock, Ponagar Tower....especially, daily diving & four island boat trips...very great ^^!.You know, Vietnam people spend their whole love for their hometown, in their eyes, hometown is always the best.Especially, on Tet, Asia people from everywhere back to their hometown, enjoy and share their best wishes for their family, relatives and friends... In conclusion, it depends on your choice ^^!

#5 Posted: 3/7/2012 - 03:12

• easyridercl-
    ub

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2012

Dalat Central Highland is the best so i guest. If you come in dalat, Lamdong province you will see hill tribe, field, people... very nice and friendly.
    Mr. Kien Truong
    (truongvankien@gmail.com).

#6 Posted: 3/7/2012 - 03:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Saigon has a salsa scene if you dance, which is a great way to spend New Years.

#7 Posted: 3/7/2012 - 05:25

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Nah Trang everytime. It's got the party scene and a great beach.Why would you want to spend time in a smoggy city when you've got the beach?

#8 Posted: 3/7/2012 - 06:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

So I could dance. Sayadian, that was a stupid question.

#9 Posted: 3/7/2012 - 09:20

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I'm sure you could dance in NahTrang too. It's one big party and lots of lovely Russian birds to dance with too.

#10 Posted: 3/7/2012 - 19:53

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well it does have a small salsa scene, so it wouldn't be a total loss...

#11 Posted: 3/7/2012 - 22:14

• Susan_eyoung

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2012

Surely, Nha Trang . Spending New Year in Phan Thiet or Nha Trang is the best one. Last year I were in Bamboo Resort Phan Thiet and booked it online with hotels-in-vietnam.com. Woa, enjoyable holiday with nice weather, good food, hospitality people...everything out of my expectations. I intend to go to Nha Trang this year and will use it again. Why don't you make it online, they will keep the places for you and you will not worry of where to stay. The room cost is surely good.

#12 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 21:57

• mitsophie

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2012

if you like quieter and fresh air, you should go to Nha Trang or Da Lat, but HCM city is busy and noisy, many foreigners will celebrate New Year here to enjoy the new year atmosphere.
    Before that, you need to apply for Vietnam visa. last year, my friend applied one from getvietnamvisa.org. that's quite better than others.
    Good have nice time!

#13 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 04:07

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

Ho Chi Minh.
    Actually, screw that, Hoi An.

I can't be the only person in the world that thinks Nha Trang is a hole.
    It's half big white sandy beach and half medium sized city and somehow manages to have none of the appeal of either. Maybe its just being followed by the most desperate touts and persistent prostitutes I've encountered anywhere in Asia that irked me, but I also thought the nightlife was the worst (as in, you have to be hammered to enjoy it and the booze is more expensive than elsewhere) I encountered in any Vietnamese city, and that's touted as its main appeal to Westerners. That and the tacky theme park.
    Maybe it's better if you've had a really boozy booze cruise first.

#14 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 02:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Mitsophie, that was most certainly one of the better spam type pitches I've seen on travelfish. Smooth. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

#15 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 08:42

• ehenness

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2011
    Location Canada

If you are really into partying Nha Trang is the place to go. Saigon is just a big city with historical/vietnam war stuff but not much else.

However if you are looking for something more low key I would suggest Mui Ne . It's between Saigon and Nha Trang, and feels cleaner and more laid back. Much more reasonably priced as well compared to Nha Trang/Saigon.

Pickpocketing/theft is common in Nha Trang, so I felt a bit on edge sometimes (I met a few travelers who were victims, albeit drunk ones ;) ). I did not get that vibe at all in Mui Ne as it is just one main road and everyone is walking/cycling up and down.

#16 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 15:12

• LaraHelen

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2012

I see you will enter Vietnam in December and only want to travel in the South. In my opion, in the North of Vietnam, you can go somewhere to enjoy the winter atmosphere. You can go Sapa to see fascinating scene there. I think you should travel all the North and the South to understand more about Vietnam

#17 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 21:27

• bhoffman

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2012
    Location Global Village

I have been living on and off in HCMC for the past 10 years and although I love the city for something like New Year I like to get out, Nha Trang has a great beach and great seafood so I would recommend Nha Trang

#18 Posted: 8/8/2012 - 00:00

• ori00candy

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Nha Trang, Phu Quoc, MUi Ne is good if you enjoy nature, pure beaches and relaxing but you should book room very soon (the room rates r expensive this occasion). HCMC is cheaper but crowded and good if you enjoy mordern life

#19 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 23:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
New Years in Nha Trang ... By khizarhayat on 3 Dec 2011 9 4963 14 Dec 2011