Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi to Hue train ticket this July. Book it online or get it in Vietnam?

• chien

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2012

I've made a post yesterday about this but it disappeared this morning. We(4 of us) will be travelling to Vietnam for the first time this July. We planning to travel to Hue from Hanoi by train. Should we book the ticket online in advance or we can still get the tickets(air-conditioned soft sleeper, 4 berth) in Hanoi railway station 3/2 days before the departure date? And how much is the price difference between booking online and get it at the railway station?
    Hope someone can give advice on these.
    Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 10/6/2012 - 21:33

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

If you want the least bit of comfort, I suggest the Livitrans private carriage service - a few dollars more, but it's at least clean and comfortable. Suggest you contact any travel agent in Vietnam - those berths go fairly quickly and this is a heavy demand period.

From personal experience, the regular soft sleeper is none too clean and none too comfy - roaches in my compartment!

Are you aware that the most scenic train trip in Vietnam is the one from Hue to Danang right above the ocean cliffs.

#2 Posted: 10/6/2012 - 22:40

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

If you know the date you're going to take the train, you might as well book early over the internet to make sure you get the tickets you want. As well, saves you the hassle of the lines at the train station when you could be out exploring. The Livitran carriage I was on actually also had roaches, but I'm pretty used to them at any rate and I just stuffed some tissue in the whole they were exiting in and out of near my head. I was bumped up to the Livitran, long story short, it did seem more comfortable then the other carriages that I passed through.

To second Daawgon on this one - Once in Hue I recommend heading onward to Da Nang via a late morning train so that you can see the fantastic scenery, one of the better train rides I've had and only a few hours. Many people like to do the Hue Easy Riders to Da Nang, but I don't fancy riding pylon with a backpack and prefered to just rent a bike in Hue and then a new bike in Da Nang.

#3 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 01:21

• chien

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2012

thanks so much for your quick response and advises! OK i think we will go for Livitrans..do u know any liable travel agent to book for the tickets? I checked on livitrans website, they ask for photocopy of credit card and security code which i don't feel secure to give.

About Danang, Yea it's in our itinerary too. We are still deciding whether to take bus from Hue to Hoi An or train to Danang.

Below is our initial plan, maybe you can give us some comments?
    We will spend 7days in Vietnam.
    Start from (day1)Hanoi--(day2)Halong Bay,overnight cruise
    (day3)back to Hanoi, night train to Hue
    (day4)morning bus to Hoi An, stay at Hoi An, (day5)Day tour in Danang, back to hotel at Hoi An.
    -OR- (day4)morning train to Danang, check in hotel in Hoi An. (day5) Day tour at Danang, back to hotel at Hoi An.

(day6)morning flight to Ho Chi Minh from Danang.
    (day7) Ho Chi Minh --fly home

Hmm.. it seems kinda hectic. What do u think? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#4 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 10:39

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Very hectic to say the least! Hanoi deserves more time, and I would skip HCMC entirely.My agent in Hanoi can get you train tickets and the Halong Bay cruise tickets.

#5 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 22:46

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Holy cr*p - that doesn't sound like a relaxing time in Vietnam at all. One of the best things to do in Hanoi , Hue , Da Nang , and Hoi'an is sit around in the morning and drink coffee, chatting with locals, and then sit around in the afternoon drinking beer talking with locals . . . you get the idea.

As daawgon says, cut HCMC out - or just fly there from Da Nang to get your connecting flight home . . . though I expect it would be cheaper to book round trip tickets in-and-out of Hanoi and instead fly from Da Nang back to Hanoi. I actually did a similar 9 day trip but didn't include Ha Long Bay or HCMC and only spent one night in Hue (wish I could have spent more but had friends living in Da Nang that I'd gone to visit) . . . though it looks like you aren't even spending a full day in Hue?

Perhaps it would be better with such limited time to cut Hue out of your itinerary and simply take the train direct to Da Nang - if you take the later night train it'll be light by the time your train passes Hue and heads through the scenery to Da Nang. Then just spend a night in Da Nang (great bar scene by the river, rent motorbikes and ride up Monkey Mountain for a wonderful view of the city - chill on the beach for the afternoon). The next day catch transportation down to Hoi'an and stay there as you like until heading back to Da Nang to catch an onward flight . . . perhaps.

#6 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 23:36

• stephenpham

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi chien,

In july, it is falling to high season for domestic traveler, train ticket is hard to book standard soft-sleeper berths, if you go to Hue station and for for ticket to Hanoi, staff will say no ticket available at all or left hard seat or you will join with 6 or 7 people in four berth cabin

Better book train ticket in advance through a travel agent and get it once you arrival Vietnam.

Cheer

#7 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 10:29

• ecotravelvn

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2012
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

in the beginning of July is the peak time for travelling in Vietnam because university examination so the demand for travelling of student to arrive in big cities is very high. It is very difficult if you don't book ticket from now

#8 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 10:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
online train ticket booking ... By alex82 on 23 May 2013 6 1588 25 May 2013
Border crossing bus/train ticket online reservation ... By lillalla on 16 Apr 2014 5 117 17 Apr 2014
Book ticket to Nanning ... By mixtourist on 28 Oct 2013 0 400 28 Oct 2013
Hotels in July - to book, or not to book? ... By Dutch on 27 May 2013 4 1733 12 Jun 2013
can now book pacific airlines online! ... By katt on 17 Feb 2007 2 2105 5 Mar 2007
Book Hotel/Hostel Online or on the spot ... By Justastic on 20 May 2012 4 1649 21 May 2012
online bus tickets - did someone book it before by mobile phone? ... By GuideLion on 6 Mar 2014 4 306 8 Mar 2014