Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Weather-Nth Vietnam June

• Benno

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

Hi,
    I have read on numerous sites that Hanoi in June is hot, humid and wet with the possibility of monsoons. Rainfall in around the 200+mm mark etc etc. HOWEVER, can someone who has been there at this time (or lives there) tell me whether the rainfall is a constant pour or follows the pattern of sun-clouds-downpour-sun. We have a Halong Bay trip and a SAPA trip as well and would like to know so we can pack appropriately and plan stuff. ALSO will this type of weather affect the bay trip (3D2N).

I remember planning a trip to Sabah (Malaysia) and the forecast was always thunderstorms, but it was sun-clouds-downpour-sun. Made it easy to plan things.

Thanks in advance.
    B

#1 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 00:02

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Today is indeed hot, humid and wet! And that pretty much sums up the last couple of weeks. However, the rain is generally intermittent (a few hours here and there) and it doesn't rain every day (yesterday was a beautiful 35degree sunny day). Bring cool clothes and an umbrella. Regarding Halong and Sapa - the weather in both places is quite different to Hanoi, so I don't know what it's like there right now. They'll both be hot, but Halong has a tendency to storms and Sapa is unpredictable in terms of fog: it should be clear at this time of year, but my partner was there last June and it was very foggy.

#2 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 01:06

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I was just reading someone's recent blog about their 3d2n trip in Halong Bay. The weather appeared to be fine as they left Hanoi but by the time they got to Halong town (I think it was..? where the boats leave from), they were told of an incoming storm. As a result they had different options - to return to Hanoi (at their expense!), or go out on day trips on the small day trip boat and come back to the town at night. They then had a bunfight with the cruise company to get some sort of compensation (rightly or wrongly).....

So... moral of the story - yes, weather can affect plans. That's why I don't like booking things to far in advance, and like to keep my options open. I had lots of rain on my recent Bolaven Plateau motorbike trip, and because I had no firm bookings for anything, I was able to cut it short, and hop over back into Thailand to get to the better weather.

#3 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 01:23

• ecotravelvn

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2012
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

At the moment it hot in whole Vietnam. I think it isnot affect by weather incase you are not lucky enough at this time

#4 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 10:30

• stephenpham

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

The weather is very hot now in North and South of Vietnam, it is OK to travel from June to July, but in August and Sept is falling rainy season.

#5 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 10:38

• Benno

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

Thanks for the replies,

It looks like it is just luck of the draw with weather, hopefully we get a bit of sun on the boat in Ha Long Bay. Having said that there is nothing better than a hot day followed by an hours downpour to freshen things up.

Will dress light and invest in an umbrella over there.

B

#6 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 19:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.