Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Ethnic markets

• gulliverand-
    marc

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2012
    Location Belgium

Has anyone checked out the ethnic markets in Sapa and Bac Ha? Is it worthwhile going to both? Also, has anyone been to the Wednesday market in Cao Son? We read about that place in one of our guide books and wonder if it is worth going so far out of our way?

#1 Posted: 16/6/2012 - 09:48

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Honestly, I was a little disappointed in the Bac Ha Mkt, and as you say - it's a damn long drive from Sapa Town. Problem is that it's become rather touristy of late. Don't get me wrong though, it's still very interesting, and it does draw quite a crowd of both tourists and locals. Where else can you get an outdoor haircut in the same place you can buy a buffalo? There are so many markets in and near Sapa - no, I wouldn't do it again.

#2 Posted: 16/6/2012 - 22:25

• ecotravelvn

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2012
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

If not on Sunday you can do tribe market on Saturday or Tuesday

#3 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 22:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

What is a "tribe market"???

#4 Posted: 19/6/2012 - 04:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Anyone know what a "tribe market" is, because I am really curious.

#5 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 06:18

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

My guess is that a Tribe Market is a smaller one put on exclusively by one ethnic group or tribe?

#6 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 12:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

As good a guess as any I suppose. We have a lot of Phu Thai minorities out where I live, and there are some villages wet of Kamcha-i where they are the majority, but their markets are just like everyone elses. Nobody refers to them as "tribe markets". Really got me wondering what that could be. We have a village market in my wife's village, but it's the same thing as any other market on a smaller scale.

#7 Posted: 25/6/2012 - 05:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.