Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

12 days from HCMC to Hanoi

• boobookitty

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

Hello Wordly and Knowledgable People,

I need some help planning my first trip to Vietnam.

I am spending 3 weeks in SE Asia in Sept. My first week is Bangkok and Phnom Penh then I'll be bussing from Phnom Penh to HCMC.
    Does anyone have any tips on where to/to no go?
    What I've planned so far (with info from travel sites and different forums) is:

HCMC - 3 days
    train to
    Nha Trang - 2 days
    train to
    Danang - 3 days
    train to
    Hue - 2 days
    train to
    Hanoi - 3 days

Should I cut out one of the stops so I am able to spend more time in HCMC or Hanoi?

I'm travelling solo and am not booking anything past my first couple of nights in HCMC so it's going to be entirely flexible but I'd like to have a rough idea of what I am doing.

And basically, I like shopping, pubs and seeing things. I'm sure I'll spend part of a day lying on a beach but I'm hoping to do a few cycling tours around the place and I like to go out and explore, none of this sitting around by a hotel pool (hence why I'm travelling alone, been overseas too many times with people who would rather laze by the pool than get out there and do something. Hello? Who goes to Waikiki and doesn't want to climb Diamond Head at 6 am when you were out drinking til 2 am???? Hangovers are for work time only).

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

#1 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 17:24

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would eliminate the timeline though. What if you get to Saigon and you love it and want to stay longer? What if you get there and you hate it and want to move on. A rough plan is OK, but a rigid one kind of defeats what the region is all about.

#2 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 22:59

• boobookitty

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

Madmac, there is definitely no real rigid plan, that's why I haven't booked anything yet. But I'm worried that I'll stay too long in one place and then miss out on something else.
    Obviously, I don't have enough time and will have to do a return trip but I'd like to make the most of this time because lord only knows when I'll get a chance to go back!

Ecotravelvn, I'm definitely going to hoi an and my son. Is that worthy of a day trip or should I stay over night? Halong Bay is also on my to-do list. Haven't read about the speed boat, I'll definitely have a look into that. Cheers!

#3 Posted: 19/6/2012 - 06:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Just don't book in advance and you should have all the flexibility that you need.

As for missing out - this subject has come up often here on travelfish. The general (though not universal) consensus is this is a place that is about the pace of life and the overall change of cultural scenery more than it is a place about seeing specific things. The first time I came to SEA I went to one village and stayed there for 30 days and flew home. I never left the province and I never went anywhere. But it gave me a great feel for the pace of village life.

#4 Posted: 19/6/2012 - 11:36

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I agree on keeping things flexible as much as you can, but you do still only have a limited time so you need to make sure you have enough cash as a back up if you find you need to fly somewhere because you can't get a train booked at late notice. That said, flying isn't that much more than taking train these days anyway. Personally I'd skip Nha Trang and fly from HCMC to Danang. (1) It's rainy season in Nha Trang in September and (2) there are great beaches in Danang.

#5 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 23:25

• alenathai181

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2012
    Location Vietnam

Good plan. spend time at mekong delta,

#6 Posted: 7/7/2012 - 03:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
21 Days - HCMC to Hanoi ... By drewtheshmoo on 7 Jun 2011 3 3024 15 Jun 2011
12 days, hanoi to hcmc ... By kellipoop on 24 Sep 2010 10 1726 30 Sep 2010
Hanoi to HCMC 18 days ... By jessia on 22 Mar 2010 6 1839 23 Mar 2010
Motorbike NW loop then hanoi to hcmc in 28 days? ... By shing on 11 Aug 2011 5 3646 26 Aug 2011