Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Good news in Vietnam: Overseas visitors to get VAT refund

• thaodp89

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

It's really great news and how do you feel about it?

Foreigners will getrefunds of the VAT they paid on goods bought in Vietnam if they are leaving thecountry from Noi Bai airport (Hanoi) or Tan Son Nhat airport (Ho Chi Minh City).

Under Decision No. 1214/QD-TCHQ issued by theGeneral Customs Department, refunds paid out from July 1, when visitors submitthe receipts for the goods they bought.

Application forms *** receipts for refunds ofVAT for visitors who are checking in their luggage will be verified and processedoutside the security areas at both airports.

For refunds of VAT for visitors who only havehand-luggage, the customs officers will verify the forms *** receipts atcounters inside the security area.
    Refund ratio is 85% of total VAT when buying goods inVietnam. Bill *** refund VAT declaration within 30 days from the departuredate, valid invoice costing at least 2 million VND.
    The tax refund will be paidin dong or a foreign currency in line with bank exchange rates.
    There are 4 banks supply this service : Vietcombank andMaritime Bank (Noi Bai airport), BIDV and Viettinbank (Tan Son Nhat airport).

Travellers leaving Vietnam will be refundedtheir VAT immediately after their goods, receipts *** declaration forms arecertified by customs officers prior to boarding.

#1 Posted: 3/7/2012 - 05:32

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

Yeah, I just heard about this yesterday. Well you certainly can't say it's bad news, but I don't think it's going to benefit too many people: I'd be interested to hear how many people actually buy any items in Vietnam worth over 2 million dong? I guess maybe handheld electronic devices and cameras. I assume you need to get a red (VAT) invoice, which should be no problem from a decent store.

#2 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 01:35

• thaodp89

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2012

@travelings-arah: I think 2 million dong is not high-value, it's just equal about $95. In Vietnam, you could spend much more money because there are so many excited items. :-) If you want to get a red VAT invoice, you could ask the cashier and they will help you.

#3 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 03:59

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

Of course there will be people who spend lots on gifts and souvenirs, but personally, I've never spent anywhere near $95 on a single holiday purchase, and I've been on some pricey holidays! Or does it apply if you buy more than one item and the total bill is over 2 million?

#4 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 04:31

• thaodp89

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2012

Total cost of all your bills, not atleast 2 million dong per bill.:-)

#5 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 05:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.