Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

What Guidebook Do You Prefer?

• Randi

Joined Travelfish
    5th July, 2012

This will be my first trip to Asia, I will be traveling in Vietnam for 5 weeks. I prefer Moon over Lonely Planet for C and S America, however I have not found a Moon for Vietnam. Also, I purchased the latest Vietnam Lonely Planet book and I don't care for the new format, plus, EVERYONE seems to care Lonely Planet. Any suggestions on the best guidebook for Vietnam? I like books that give a bit of history on each are as well as a good amount of budget friendly food and hotel recs. I like a lot of info on little villages/towns rather than spending a lot of time in big cities, thanks so much!

#1 Posted: 5/7/2012 - 12:40

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Travelfish, of course.

Seriously, I have often taken LP books around as well as the TF guides - and often found TF wins by miles, in particular for accom reviews. BUT.. it depends on where you go. Some guides are a bit out of date.

Just in case you're not aware of the guides that are available on TF, you need to login and go to the Member Centre, then click on the Free Guides link. You can then generate PDF documents which essentially suck out the info that you need from the website info. So the guides are as up-to-date as the website info. The only thing is, you generate docs for specific areas that you are going to, so you need to have an idea of which regions you are going to first.

Of course there are also the iPhone apps guides that cover many of the major destinations. I don't have an iPhone so haven't been able to check them out aside from an early prototype - but understand that they are very good.

This site has a wealth of information and is regularly updated - it's not just a forum. Go to the Destinations link at the top, and start from there.

#2 Posted: 5/7/2012 - 14:58

• Vietnam720

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009
    Location Singapore

Posted from within Vietnam.

With the internet these days, sometimes I find people's blogposts being more up to date and reliable.

But to answer the OP's question, I use LP. Not that it's the best but it was the other one I came across but I started backpacking and the brand had stuck with me since. Plus it worked fine most of the time for me.

Just note that LP leans more to the low and middle budget sector.

#3 Posted: 5/7/2012 - 19:20

• Randi

Joined Travelfish
    5th July, 2012

I will check out the TF info, thanks so much for your help!

#4 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 09:13

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

The downloadable Travelfish Guides are the best around - this site is more than a forum. How can you compare guidebooks written year before last with something current? Vietnam is simply changing too fast for most books to keep up - esp with hotels, restaurants and prices!

#5 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 11:12

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Also, go through the blog section on this site. There has been a massive flurry of activity in the last few months now that Somtam has people located in various parts of SEA. There must be 20 new posts a week!

I started a Onenote document and cut and paste interesting bits in there for future reference, by country. Once my bags are packed, I'll turn it into a Kindle format so that I can reference is as I go. The writers are out there finding some really interesting and slightly unusual ideas that are not going to be found in the guidebooks . (Have been especially enjoying your Thai posts, dluek!)

#6 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 16:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.