Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Taking a DSLR

• Nicnak

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2012

Ive done a heap of traveling around Europe/Eastern Europe and Asia and consider myself pretty travel smart. But, Im wondering if it will be worth the hassle to take my DSLR on this trip, my first to Vietnam.
    More the hassle of it attracting unwanted eyes or it being stolen from me somewhere or my room than the hassle of carrying it about. Im traveling with my partner who is 6"2 who i was planning of getting to carry the camera as I dont think they would try and steal it from him!

......... or should I just buy a small compact camera that I can keep in my pocket.

What are other peoples experiences with large cameras in Vietnam or elsewhere and if its worth the hassle (Im by far no pro photographer, but nice photos would be good)

Thanks

#1 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 21:08

• Advertisement

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

I have been to South East Asia many times with my DSLR and encountered no problems. Like any where else just take precautions. I have always felt quite safe with my camera equipment in tow.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 08:36

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

My advice is to avoid Saigon with your DSLR - this is where the majority of drive by thefts are happening, and Nha Trang, the city with the second highest number.

#3 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 13:54

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

There are thieves and pickpockets in Europe too. :-)

Like Daawgon mentions, there are motor-cycle riding snatchers so one has to be aware of that risk and take precautions.

I prefer to use a backpack to carry my photo gear as I feel it is more secure than a shoulder slung bag.

#4 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 21:46

• Vietnam720

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009
    Location Singapore

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you can live with pocket camera, then do so. But DSLR generally allow you to take better pictures :)

#5 Posted: 16/7/2012 - 18:25

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

I'd bet a camera would much more easily be stolen from your pocket than around your neck. I carried an SLR around SE Asia and India for nine months with no problem, but I'm sure many have alternative stories. In saying that, I know way more people who have been robbed in European countries than in SE Asia.

Just be sure to back up your photos as often as possible, and have your travel insurance cover your camera. If you're an avid photographer, you'll miss your SLR when you see how photogenic this region is.. I would take it, personally. :)

#6 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 04:10

• Nicnak

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2012

thanks everyone!
    this will be the first time i would have travelled with a DSLR. ive always had a compact camera. think im going to take it! :)

#7 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 05:59

• Benno

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

Just got back from Vietnam and have also spent a lot of time in Cambidia, Malaysia, Sabah, Thailand etc etc with my trusty DLSR attached to my neck. On the recent Vietnam trek I carried my D80 with a 18-200mm lens attached to a tripod and all combined looks large. I mainly got expressions of interest in it and what I was shooting. One or two locals would stand around and then ask to see the back screen to see what I was shooting so it was more curiosity than anything else. The reactions were priceless. I also have a D40 converted to shoot IR and at times had 2 wrapped around my neck and never had an issue.

In my opinion, take the DSLR, you will (potentially) obtain better quality images compared to a P&S. If it is less that $4000 value, travel insurance will cover it at no extra charge and you wont need to specify it (depending on policy). Just take a photo/scan of the serial # so if the unfortunate does happen, you are covered.

#8 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 07:56

• bhoffman

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2012
    Location Global Village

I always travel with both a DSLR and a good quality compact, then depending on the situation take what is appropriate, if I am going somewhere to take photos or I know there will be a good photo opportunity I will take my DSLR for that outing. If I just want to take it easy at a cafe restaurant or beach then I take the compact.

As far as DSLR cameras goes I have never had any problems with any being stolen, and I have been living in Vietnam off and on for the past 10 years. However I do know more than a few people that have had cameras stolen. I think what it comes down to is how how safety concious you are.

#9 Posted: 7/8/2012 - 23:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.