Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Withdraw large amounts of money at bank counter, not ATM

• CPatrick

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2012

Hello everyone,

I am planning to travel in Vietnam soon.

I would like to avoid the fees associated with withdrawing from an ATM in Vietnam.

Is it possible to withdraw a larger amount money at the foriegn exchange counter INSIDE a larger branch of a bank in a large city USING my Canadian bank atm card or Canadian Visa credit card?

I am thinking around 8,000,000 dong.

I would appreciate any information on this possibility.

Thanks Neil

#1 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 23:47

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I was able to pull out approx $500NZD using my NZ Mastercard at a bank in HCMC without any problem. But just be aware that if you do a cash advance, you will normally incur interest immediately. Weight that up against ATM fees. To avoid that, I went online the day before and transferred enough money to cover the withdrawal and any other expenses I already had on my card.

#2 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 05:53

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Load your credit card beforehand to avoid interest, but you still may get charged a fee from your bank? In Canada it's $2.50.

#3 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 05:59

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

8000000 dong. Should make bartering easy pulling out that big wad!
    Hmm - you might need an extra bag for your dong... :)

#4 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 18:03

• Randy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

I am a Canadian, frequently visit to Vietnam. In my own opinion and for my own safety during my time there, I never take out more than 200US dollars at a time. The first thing is inconvenience . With that equivalence of Vietnamese bills, where would I stuff all of those money? The second thing is whenever I pay something, I gotto pull out a bundle of cash and that catches attention of bad element in Vietnamese streets. Bottom line, be safe Buddy. Accept the fee and NEVER, EVER carry big cash in Vietnamese society. The end.

#5 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 17:49

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Use Tech Com bank's ATM's they are one of the only ATMs that do not charge a processing fee (usually 20,000VND) and you can take up to 5,000,000VND out at a time. Does'nt help much with your bank charges at home unless you get a prepaid travel card and load it before you go - which might well save you a few quid which goes a long way in Vietnam.

#6 Posted: 31/8/2012 - 09:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
which bank have lowest surchage for cash withdraw by visa credit card ... By sandyyou on 20 Apr 2007 0 2558 20 Apr 2007
Lost my passport money and Bank card.. ... By potta_boro on 18 Aug 2011 20 6158 20 Aug 2011
What's the best Canadian bank to use to manage money in SE asia? ... By Handsome_Boy on 10 Sep 2009 13 9409 18 Jan 2010
emergency money during Khmer new year bank closures ... By sayadian on 14 Apr 2012 2 2075 14 Apr 2012