Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Travel in January

Posted by travelbug86 on 18/7/2012 at 00:40

Hi everybody!

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me why the internet is telling me flights from HCMC to da nang are so expensive in January. I have been searching the internet and its telling me flights from HCMC to da nang and Hanoi are over $300.

Is this correct? Is it possible to get cheaper flights?

#1 travelbug86 has been a member since 18/7/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by oasisbarhatien on 18/7/2012 at 02:35

Posted from within Vietnam.

January is a busy time for tourism in Vietnam,and in addition in 2013 Tet(Vietnamese New Year) is early February (9th-13th) so trains,planes and other forms of transport are heavily booked before at and just after this time

#2 oasisbarhatien has been a member since 12/8/2010. Posts: 109
 Website 

Posted by daawgon on 18/7/2012 at 13:51

Jan is high season, that's one reason. Chances are you're not looking at the Vietnam Airlines site - I've come across the same problem when looking at third party sites.

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by Alan85 on 19/7/2012 at 04:41

Actually January is very busy because it is the best time for tourist and visitors. Mostly people want to go there in mid of December. The weather of Vietnam is so nicely in January, I think it is reasonable if you get round about $250.

#4 Alan85 has been a member since 18/7/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by bhoffman on 6/8/2012 at 17:00

In 2013 Tet (Vietnamese New Year) is on 10 Feb however you will find alot of Viet Kieu (Overseas Vietnamese) travelling from late Jan to celebrate. However this would not account for the large visitor numbers in early Jan, most of this is due to School holidays for neighbouring countries such as Australia, New Zealand, and nearby asian countries.

Also this is the best time to visit Vietnam temperature and weather wise, with a slight ease to the high temp and humidity that is seen later in the year.

#5 bhoffman has been a member since 6/8/2012. Location: Global Village. Posts: 5
 Twitter 

Posted by travellingsarah on 6/8/2012 at 19:39 TF writer

Yes, it is peak season, but as pinoytraveler demonstrates, there are still plenty of flights available for around the $100 mark via the Vietnam Airlines website. Jetstar hasn't released flights for that time period yet. But book as soon as you can if you already know your dates.

#6 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by travellingsarah on 6/8/2012 at 19:43 TF writer

Though I did just see that at the very end of January they're nearer $160 and nearly sold out - only Business class available. Not sure exactly when you're travelling. But still, not $300.

#7 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.