Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Best Advice For rekking in Sapa

• eoinfitz

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2006

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey There
    Can anyone let us know a reliable and fairly priced trip around sapa? Quoted $90 per person for a group of 4. That was 3 nights 2 days. Any ideas how much a guide should cost if we get the train independently?
    Cheers

#1 Posted: 21/4/2007 - 09:39

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

At the Mountain View Hotel there is a Mrs. Hong there who runs a guide service. Many of them are female and young but are very experienced in showing visitors around. For Mount PhanXiPan climbers she has a man named Chang - he is strong enough to assist the weary climbers. Always ask for the long route to the top - the short one is too steep.

Other guides are SO or TUNG (a Black H'Mong) located through Sa Pa Goldsea Hotel, < sapagoldsea@hn.vnn.vn >, 58 Fanxipan Road, Tel: 84-(0)-20-872-180 / 84-(0)-20-871-869. E-m:sapagoldsea@hn.vnn.vn.
    Villages worth visiting are Cat Cat, GiangTaChai, TaPhin, YLinhHo, HauThao, SuPan (easily the most beautiful village in Sapa area).
    Another excellent guide is "Thanh-Sa Pa" < longsapa@gmail.com >, guiding for over 6 years and has good English. An enterprising guy, he has a tour that includes night 1 in Tavan, Dzay People, night 2 in Seo Trung Ho, Red Dzao, night 3 Ban Ho, Tay People, night 4,5 in Sa Pa, day 6 is for the Montagnard market.

But on ALL accounts avoid guides from the Victoria! (And the Victoria Hotel itself).

Note: You MUST employ a guide if you climb Mount FanSiPan as ONLY they can obtain the required climbing permit from the police. Do NOT worry if the guide appears young, or female, as they all have excellent guiding skills and are likely stronger than you!

And ALL your money helps the locals rather than enriching some cowboy in Ha Noi.

There is regular Sunday bus to Bac Ha from Sa Pa but you can get there by local bus from Lao Cai. There are over 600 hotel rooms of all types in Bac Ha - just make sure you are not too near a street loudspeaker as the chair of the Lao Cai Peoples Committee believes in only setting the volume at high!

Remember Friday and Saturday rates for hotels, etc are higher than the rest of the week. Book your rail reservation at least two days ahead at 120 La Duane - and avoid Ha Noi agent markups and the chance of a different class of service.

#2 Posted: 22/4/2007 - 05:28

• eoinfitz

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2006

Thanks Noodle lady,
    your help was much appreciated, we trekked with the Royal Hotel and found our guide to be excellent. A great time had by all.

#3 Posted: 27/4/2007 - 13:07

• sweete

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2007

Very informative! Any idea how much the guides in Sapa charge for say, an overnight trek to a village and homestay? Thanks

#4 Posted: 3/5/2007 - 18:37

• sweete

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2007

Very informative! Any idea how much the guides in Sapa charge for say, an overnight trek to a village and homestay? Thanks

#5 Posted: 3/5/2007 - 18:37

• eoinfitz

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2006

Hey there
    We paid only $20 per person for the overnight trek with the homestay. the guide was called Chi and was really good, and very informative.
    the homestay was great too, we were fed like Kings
    and then relaxed playing cards with family members!

Prices seem to range betweem $20 and $40 but we definitely got good quality for our 20 bucks!
    Hope this helps.
    Happy trekking!!!

#6 Posted: 4/5/2007 - 13:18

• mifox2

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

24/3/10
    I just got back from a 3-day 2-night trek in Sapa and it was amazing. We booked with a place called 'Lanterns.' It's on the main road in Sapa. If you're walking uphill, it's a little bit past the Nature Bar and Grill and the Bebop Bar. The trek cost $33 USD total. Our guide Thuy spoke very good English and it was great getting to know him. Our trek consisted of hiking 15km per day. We visited 5 or 6 villages along the way and stayed in 2 villages at a home stay. The homestays were nice. They even had hot water showers! We are vegetarians and the food was delicious. We even got tofu for dinner both nights. Make sure you wear good shoes and bring warm clothes! I would recommend sneakers, pants, and a fleece. I would definitely recommend this tour. Ask for Thuy as your guide! This place also has the cheapest train tickets I could find back to Hanoi at $16 USD for a 6 bed sleeper.

A quick word about the hilltribe women. These women will follow you for your entire trek, and at the end they will expect you to buy something from them for $5-10. I think the situation is pretty absurd, and buying something from them only encourages this behavior. I have been told that the parents now choose which children will go to school and which ones will follow the tourists. We refused to buy anything the first day. The second day we told them right away that we would not buy anything from them so they were wasting their time if they followed us. It worked, and none of them followed us on the second day.

It is definitely cheaper to book in Sapa rather than Hanoi.
    Here is the info I have on their card:

The store is called 'Lanterns'
    Cafe of Smiles
    Vu Van Huy
    18 Cau May Str
    Sa Pa
    Tel: (84) 203 872 037
    Mobile: 09855 09351
    email: cafeofsmiles@gmail.com
    www.vietnamnomadtrails.net

#7 Posted: 24/3/2010 - 12:49

• hanoimikesh-
    otel

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2010
    Location Vietnam

Hi Guy !

The best way for you to visit Sapa that it's by the group tour if you are the first time to visit Sapa
    For next time you wanna go to Sapa by yourself you can pay only 15- 20 usd/ English speaking guide , 25-30 usd/ French guide

The room from 15- 25 usd/ night with view

Have a good trip in Sapa

#8 Posted: 25/3/2010 - 11:50

• mifox2

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

A correction to my previous post. The store is not called "Lanterns," it's called 'Trekking-Adventure.' The info is still the same though :)

#9 Posted: 25/3/2010 - 12:21

• madde22

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2011

Hi Mifox2,

I saw so many different trips, I would like to know which one you did. And a 15km hike every day, is that about 3-4 hours a day? I will be making it end of juli or the beginning of august.

Thanks for the tip anyway,

Madelon

#10 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 16:30

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.