Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Halong bay tour for solo 23 year old

• elysek

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

I will be in Hanoi in a few days and wanted to do a three night halong bay tour. I really want to make sure I don't book something that is going to be all families or couples so I was looking at the cruise through my hostel (Hanoi backpackers). The only problem is that it seems to be quite a bit more expensive and I'm not entirely interested in a complete booze fest. Does anyone have any recommendations about where to book a good tour, for a mid-range price that is likely to have people around my age? Thank you!

#1 Posted: 14/8/2012 - 20:54

• Advertisement

• LaraHelen

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2012

What do you mean about people around your age? How old are you? If you choose a large cruise in Halong, surely they will bring families & couples together or if luckier you can meet people around your age. If you would like more private, please hire a charter cruise but it will cost much higher than going with other people. By this way, you still enjoy quiet places & private dinning area or even dinning in suite.

cleardot.gif

#2 Posted: 17/8/2012 - 09:32

• LaraHelen

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2012

What do you mean about people around your age? How old are you? If you choose a large cruise in Halong, surely they will bring families & couples together or if luckier you can meet people around your age. If you would like more private, please hire a charter cruise but it will cost much higher than going with other people. By this way, you still enjoy quiet places & private dinning area or even dinning in suite.

cleardot.gif

#3 Posted: 17/8/2012 - 09:32

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

The Hanoi Backpackers' one is expensive, but I only hear good things about it. However, if it's out of your price range you could try the other hostels and places catering to younger guests / with dorms - for example, Central Backpackers, May de Ville Hostel, Rendezvous Hotel, Little Hanoi Hostel. I can't vouch for any of them though (I mean, I haven't heard good or bad reports about any and haven't tried the myself).

#4 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 23:41

• barkelleher

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2013

Just wondering what you ended up going with in the end elysek? I"m going to be in the same boat. I'm 24 and i don't know if I want to go on an all out booze cruise but would like fun. i.e not all couples. Just interested to know what you went with in the end?

#5 Posted: 12/2/2013 - 12:24

• jtdoesit

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2013

I don't think so you can know for sure there won't be any families and couples. More often than not, it's likely the case.

#6 Posted: 13/2/2013 - 22:18

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

The Hanoi backpackers one is a bit of a party fest from what I heard, saw them when we were rock climbing as well. If you go tubing know that the dick driver will wipe you out hard on purpose at the end, he did to the people that day and I was told it is a common occurrence. What I did instead was go to Cat Ba Island, I went climbing with Asia Outdoors one day and then did a boat tour/kayaking trip the 2nd day. That was good and there are decent restaurants in Cat Ba as well as options on tours and things to do for cheaper then the Halong Bay tours. Note in the low season it is trickier to find people/places to hang out though and Cat Ba is a bit of a ghost town(good news I had a 14 bed dorm to myself for $3.50 lol).

#7 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 17:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.