Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hoi an accommodation in febuary

Posted by travelbug86 on 26/8/2012 at 18:22

Hi fellow travelers,

I am flying into Da nang on the 2nd of Febuary and I know it is a busy time however I was wondering if there will still be plenty of accommodation available and tailors open?

Many thanks,
Travelbug

#1 travelbug86 has been a member since 18/7/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by daawgon on 27/8/2012 at 23:39

I'm sure you will find something, but expect prices to be very high. I believe tailors will be open except for a few days around the big Tet holiday - I understand all the hotels/restaurants remain open. I would book something ahead of time if I were you.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by travelbug86 on 27/8/2012 at 23:57

Oh no thats a shame.

Will it be high prices for both accommodation and tailors of just accomm?

Should I expect it to be about double price or more of less?

Many thanks,
Travelbug

#3 travelbug86 has been a member since 18/7/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by LolaNguyen on 28/8/2012 at 00:34 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

The first day of Tet is Sunday 10th Feb and Vietnamese businesses generally close down from the 9th to the 14th Feb, for the ones that do stay open prices spiral as the overheads for this period increase hugely. The western run businesses are not usually effected, but menus are cut down as food markets close. However if you like street food you will be in for a treat as the amount of vendors increase dramatically over the Tet holidays. Accommodation should be easy to find, but it might be worth booking ahead. Transport is a nightmare, the Vietnamese all return to their families over this period so flights, trains and
buses get completely booked up and prices spiral. As for tailors, I'd give it a miss, most still open, but on a reduced staff, tailors prices double and there is a longer turnaround on orders.
Prices tend to stay inflated for at least 2 weeks after Tet before going back to normal on pretty much everything, but it is still relatively cheap in comparison to the western world and the Tet celebrations in Hoi An are incredible. I'd say don't miss it, but a big NO for tailoring.

#4 LolaNguyen has been a member since 28/8/2012. Posts: 94

Posted by travelbug86 on 28/8/2012 at 00:42

Hi!

Thanks so much for the advice! That's such a shame about the tailoring, I was really looking forward to getting stuff made. I'll be in hoi an on the 2nd of February, are the tailors still a big no on the 2nd to the 6th?

Many thanks

#5 travelbug86 has been a member since 18/7/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by LolaNguyen on 31/8/2012 at 08:54 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

Do it the day you arrive and you might just get away with not paying Tet surcharges. Good luck!

#6 LolaNguyen has been a member since 28/8/2012. Posts: 94

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.