Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hoi an accommodation in febuary

• travelbug86

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2012

Hi fellow travelers,

I am flying into Da nang on the 2nd of Febuary and I know it is a busy time however I was wondering if there will still be plenty of accommodation available and tailors open?

Many thanks,
    Travelbug

#1 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 18:22

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I'm sure you will find something, but expect prices to be very high. I believe tailors will be open except for a few days around the big Tet holiday - I understand all the hotels/restaurants remain open. I would book something ahead of time if I were you.

#2 Posted: 27/8/2012 - 23:39

• travelbug86

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2012

Oh no thats a shame.

Will it be high prices for both accommodation and tailors of just accomm?

Should I expect it to be about double price or more of less?

Many thanks,
    Travelbug

#3 Posted: 27/8/2012 - 23:57

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

The first day of Tet is Sunday 10th Feb and Vietnamese businesses generally close down from the 9th to the 14th Feb, for the ones that do stay open prices spiral as the overheads for this period increase hugely. The western run businesses are not usually effected, but menus are cut down as food markets close. However if you like street food you will be in for a treat as the amount of vendors increase dramatically over the Tet holidays. Accommodation should be easy to find, but it might be worth booking ahead. Transport is a nightmare, the Vietnamese all return to their families over this period so flights, trains and
    buses get completely booked up and prices spiral. As for tailors, I'd give it a miss, most still open, but on a reduced staff, tailors prices double and there is a longer turnaround on orders.
    Prices tend to stay inflated for at least 2 weeks after Tet before going back to normal on pretty much everything, but it is still relatively cheap in comparison to the western world and the Tet celebrations in Hoi An are incredible. I'd say don't miss it, but a big NO for tailoring.

#4 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 00:34

• travelbug86

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2012

Hi!

Thanks so much for the advice! That's such a shame about the tailoring, I was really looking forward to getting stuff made. I'll be in hoi an on the 2nd of February, are the tailors still a big no on the 2nd to the 6th?

Many thanks

#5 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 00:42

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Do it the day you arrive and you might just get away with not paying Tet surcharges. Good luck!

#6 Posted: 31/8/2012 - 08:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.