Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

From vietnam to loas by private car

• travelbug86

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2012

Hi all!

My travel party of 6 people are toying the idea of hiring a private car/van to drive us from da nang to loas.

Is this a silly idea or a good one?

Im not to sure as I was thinking that it might be a good way to see the country side but I do not want to get into any trouble or have any awkward border crossing difficulties.

Thanks,
    travelbug

#1 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 18:41

• Advertisement

• alenathai181

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2012
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

It is possible to do that and the most convenient way to travel from Central Vietnam to Laos

#2 Posted: 27/8/2012 - 09:38

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Yes, possible, but not especially safe considering VN roads and VN terrible drivers! I would fly, I prefer to live!

#3 Posted: 27/8/2012 - 13:07

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

I think it rather depends on which border you want to cross and what time of the year you plan on travelling. As mentioned in another post the best (as in quickest and most scenic) is from Central Vietnam - Hue in particular, from here you can go along parts of the Ho Chi Minh Trail which takes you up in to the mountainous jungle and through some really beautiful minority villages, but you would be hard pushed to find a driver that will take that route over the newer highway and in the rainy season (end of Sept through to Jan) the roads are pretty hairy and sometimes un-passable by car. The other thing to bear in mind is that your driver may only be able to drop you off at the border so you will have to make other arrangements for onward travel once you have crossed over and that can be quite a challenge. Interestingly there do seem to be rather a lot of Laos mini-buses thundering between the border and Hue now, so there must be cheap options available for those willing to risk it.
    If you do decide to do it, I'd try to arrange your visa in advance if at all possible, if you don't you can always take a day trip out to the mountains, its only a couple of hours from Hoi An and less from Hue and its most certainly worth doing.

#4 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 00:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.