Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

From vietnam to loas by private car

Posted by travelbug86 on 26/8/2012 at 18:41

Hi all!

My travel party of 6 people are toying the idea of hiring a private car/van to drive us from da nang to loas.

Is this a silly idea or a good one?

Im not to sure as I was thinking that it might be a good way to see the country side but I do not want to get into any trouble or have any awkward border crossing difficulties.

Thanks,
travelbug

#1 travelbug86 has been a member since 18/7/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by alenathai181 on 27/8/2012 at 09:38

Posted from within Vietnam.

It is possible to do that and the most convenient way to travel from Central Vietnam to Laos

#2 alenathai181 has been a member since 7/7/2012. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 25

Posted by daawgon on 27/8/2012 at 13:07

Yes, possible, but not especially safe considering VN roads and VN terrible drivers! I would fly, I prefer to live!

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,093

Posted by LolaNguyen on 28/8/2012 at 00:58 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

I think it rather depends on which border you want to cross and what time of the year you plan on travelling. As mentioned in another post the best (as in quickest and most scenic) is from Central Vietnam - Hue in particular, from here you can go along parts of the Ho Chi Minh Trail which takes you up in to the mountainous jungle and through some really beautiful minority villages, but you would be hard pushed to find a driver that will take that route over the newer highway and in the rainy season (end of Sept through to Jan) the roads are pretty hairy and sometimes un-passable by car. The other thing to bear in mind is that your driver may only be able to drop you off at the border so you will have to make other arrangements for onward travel once you have crossed over and that can be quite a challenge. Interestingly there do seem to be rather a lot of Laos mini-buses thundering between the border and Hue now, so there must be cheap options available for those willing to risk it.
If you do decide to do it, I'd try to arrange your visa in advance if at all possible, if you don't you can always take a day trip out to the mountains, its only a couple of hours from Hoi An and less from Hue and its most certainly worth doing.

#4 LolaNguyen has been a member since 28/8/2012. Posts: 94

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.