Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Sapa or Mai Chau?

• ivo_24

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2007

Hello,

I am travelling with a friend in Vietnam in November, we have a limited time in Vietnam (approx 2.5 weeks depending on how we feel about the place) I would like to go inland to the villages and to the highlands for 2-3 days, where we would like to hire a motorbike/cycle and explore the villages and the countryside. We are not very interested in tours, and would prefer to do our own thing.

I have been recommended Sapa but I have been doing a bit of reading and have heard about Mai Chau. Mai Chau is closer to Hanoi (hence less travel time) and sounds like it is less touristy but similar to Sapa.

Is there anyone that has been to both of these places and would have any comments or recomendations on which one of these two places to pick?

Many Thanks,

Ivo

#1 Posted: 29/4/2007 - 07:29

• Advertisement

• camstyle

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007

i have been to sapa and found it quite amazing very differrent to other regions of vietnam. we spent 3 nights there 1 in a homestay. booked through kanagaroo cafe it saves time have some things partly organised we also booked our halong bay trip with them very affordable and they ran back to back so no time wasted.

#2 Posted: 29/4/2007 - 20:24

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Ivo,

While Mai Chau is closer to Hanoi, most head to Sapa by overnight train so in the scheme of things, they're not that different in that regard.

Sapa has far more impressive scenery, while Mai Chau is more intreresting for it's quaint "village" feel and it sees volumes less tourists than Sapa, which can at times seem a little disneylandesque.

That said, Sapa has a larger hilltribe population and they're more accessible than Mai Chau (I'm trying to write this without it sounding like a human zoo!)

In summary they're very different places -- if you want to see a lot of colourfully dressed minorities and buy lots of gifts for when you get home, then Sapa is the best choice. If, rather you're after a more traditional, unadulterated scene, then Mai Chau may be for you.

Hope that helps

#3 Posted: 30/4/2007 - 08:24

• ivo_24

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2007

Thats great advice! Thanks somtam!

Sounds like Mai Chau is the most appealing option.

www.flickr.com is a website I use for looking at photos of possible destinations, and from this Mai Chau still looks very nice.

#4 Posted: 1/5/2007 - 15:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mai Chau to Sapa ... By Pokol on 13 Oct 2009 2 3501 14 Oct 2009
Mai Chau, Halong Bay or Sapa? ... By mhlow on 28 Jun 2009 7 6482 29 Jun 2009
Mai Chau/Sapa - escape the crowds ... By ElmoAustria on 14 Feb 2011 4 3490 21 Mar 2011
This is short notice but does anyone want to travel NW Vietnam together (Mai Chau, Son La, SaPa)? ... By sunwreck on 15 Jul 2010 3 1878 18 Jul 2010