Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

3 weeks in Vietnam/Cambodia- itinerary advice!

• junebug

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2012

We're visiting Vietnam and Cambodia (mostly Vietnam) for three weeks in December and I was hoping to get a bit of feedback on our draft itinerary. We're looking for a mix of adventure, relaxation and culture.

Day
    1 travel to Hanoi
    2 Hanoi
    3 Hanoi
    4 Ha Giang tour (posted on this a while back and decided to go for it!)
    5 Ha Giang tour
    6 Ha Giang tour
    7 Ha Giang tour
    8 Ha Giang tour
    9 Fly/overnight train to Dong Hoi- Phong Nha Farmstay
    10 Phong Nha Farmstay
    11 Phong Nha Farmstay
    12 Bus to Hue, fly to HCMC, bus to Ben Tre
    13 Ben Tre
    14 Can Tho
    15 Fly Can Tho-Phu Quoc
    16 Phu Quoc
    17 Phu Quoc
    18 Ferry to Ha Tien, overland to Siem Reap OR fly Phu Quoc-HCMC-Siem Reap
    19 Siem Reap
    20 Siem Reap
    21 Siem Reap
    22 Siem Reap/fly back late PM

What do you think? We're debating taking a day away from somewhere else for Hue, but don't want to rush around too much.

It also seems like we'll be flying a lot- I was hoping to take more ground transport and boats to see the country along the way but it seems with our time schedule flights are more logical.

Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 12/9/2012 - 16:10

• Advertisement

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi, I can help a little. From Ha Noi down to Phong Nha Farmstay its possible to do by train, but its a long one personally I'd fly and do the six hour train ride from Dong Hoi down to Hue - its a beautiful journey. When you arrive in Dong Hoi its only a 30 min journey to the Farmstay, might be an idea to contact Ben by email as he can arrange that for you and he's a bit out of town.
    Hue is great for a day if you like visiting citadels but you would need to have a good itinery to see everything in a day, people seem to either love or hate Hue, so it might be an idea to research it a bit more before you decide.
    The Phu Quoc - Siem Reap bit is an expensive flight but the bus journey from Ha Tien up is not the most pleasant journey, it took us 18 hours, and the buses that do that particular route are famous for breaking down.
    For a three week holiday I think you have planned very well. We just got back from the Farmstay in Phong Nha and had a great time.

#2 Posted: 14/9/2012 - 23:35

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I would leave Cambodia for another trip - Vietnam has plenty of things to do/places to go for a short trip. Dalat and BMT in the Central Highlands are very nice and off the tourist trail, or maybe a bike trip in the Delta?

#3 Posted: 16/9/2012 - 12:31

• junebug

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2012

Thanks for the helpful advice Lola- glad you had a great time at the farmstay!

Daawgon, already have our main flights (into Hanoi, back from Siem Reap, so that is the plan. We had originally planned on the entire time in Vietnam but friends raved about Angkor wat and once we looked into it more, decided it was something we really wanted todo. If we thought we'd be back to the region anytime in the near future (if ever) we'd likely have held off as you suggested, but that is unlikely. Just underestimated the time/distance to get there!

#4 Posted: 20/9/2012 - 16:57

• MotHaiBa

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011

Agree totally with Lola - with your tight itinerary, spare yourself Ihe train and fly to Dong Hoi. Ben will pick u up from the airport and look after u very nicely. Like Hue, Phu Quoc can be hot and cold with people. Given u want some beach relaxation time it is prob best bet at that time of year. For getting out of hcmc to Ben Tre and Can Tho, have a think about going pillion on the back of a motorbike. Its great fun and a really great way of seeing the delta. Loc from Saigon Riders can look after you - msg me and I can provide you details.

#5 Posted: 20/9/2012 - 19:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
4 weeks Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia - Itinerary advice ... By ibon on 19 May 2009 3 7146 21 May 2009
Thailand-Laos-Cambodia 8 weeks itinerary advice ... By roro1990 on 30 Aug 2013 12 2627 1 Sep 2013
3 weeks in Thailand/Cambodia - advice on draft itinerary please... ... By slordan on 24 Aug 2009 18 5236 6 Oct 2009
Bangkok, Cambodia, and Laos in 4 weeks- itinerary advice? ... By curstilace on 9 Apr 2009 2 4507 3 May 2009
itinerary advice for 2 weeks in Vietnam and Thailand ... By jztravels on 22 Feb 2010 4 4615 24 Mar 2010
2 weeks itinerary in Vietnam - advice needed ... By blimunda on 17 Nov 2011 9 3730 16 Dec 2011
Advice for two weeks in either Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam ... By ponarv on 31 Dec 2009 5 4718 12 Jan 2010
5 weeks itinerary: Thailand (?) - Lao - Vietnam - Cambodia ... By stephjac on 18 Apr 2010 2 3982 19 Apr 2010
3-4 weeks Cambodia-Vietnam-Laos itinerary ... By judenbot on 16 Apr 2007 1 6735 16 Apr 2007
Some advice on Thailand-Vietnam-Cambodia itinerary please! ... By lucky13 on 13 Aug 2009 15 4258 6 Sep 2009