Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Day Trips from Sapa - any suggestions or guide recommendations

• downundergal

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2005
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 4

Hi - arriving off the night train on Friday morning and spending 2 nights in Sapa before returning on the 1730 train Sunday night. I have booked accomm in Sapa but looking for recommendations on our time there. We really want to visit the markets, take in the scenery but without spending a full 8 hours hard trekking. Any suggestions would be appreciated? Thanks.

#1 Posted: 21/9/2012 - 22:52

• Advertisement

• Benno

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

Hi Downundergal,
    I'll reply to your other request here.

We stayed at SAPAROOMS and did a couple of their treks. If you want to see the sights, interact with locals and not spend all day out, then I can only recommend you go to SAPAROOMS and do one of their tours. You will pay a little more, but we had an awesome guide and saw the scenery, visited a local communities and ended up having a herbal bath (extra $1 or 2) in a large wooden vat type thing (the things wine is matured in). There are two sort of 1/2 day tours, but do the one where you have a bath (you will know what I mean when you see it). It was about 10k but very easy and at your own pace and only took about 4 hours. At the end of the tour you are driven back to the hotel.
    I'm sure there are plenty of other tour people out there and others that can get it cheaper but from our experience, a little extra is worth it.
    If you need more info, let me know.

Benno

#2 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 02:58

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

If I was to go back and do it again I'd ask one of the dozens of kids that hung around outside my hotel to take me. My guide's English was very poor and the kids (about 10) followed us around for the day anyways!
    Not a bad idea to bring your valuables with you (if your room lacks a safety box) my backpack was pretty much empty when I returned and oddly enough I couldn't find anyone at the hotel who could/would speak English to help me! Can't remember the name of the place but the room key was attached to a rather large chunk of wood.
    Sapa is beautiful and safe...I just learned the hard way.

#3 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 08:21

• downundergal

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2005
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 4

Hi thanks so much! I have emailed Sapa rooms as after checking out their website, their trekking style (and social responsibility ). It suits perfectly as does the spa tub soak. I just wanted to make sure that I can use their services as I am staying at Sapa Eden which looks like it is right next door. Plus I am keen to visit either Bac Ha or Can Cau market as well so have asked re this. Cheers, Kerrie

#4 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 18:40

• Benno

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

I don't think there will be any issues in using their service if you are not staying there. Payment is in USD so if prepaid then no issues. The owner is an Aussie and very helpful to tourists and the local community. He is always hanging out there and you'll spot him in a second because he is chasing his bigh white dog around.
    The staff at SAPAROOMS are helpful as well.
    If I were you I would also look at eating there a few times - food is great and probably the best in town.

#5 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 20:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Trips to Sapa ... By Georgie on 29 Oct 2006 3 1546 10 Nov 2006
Day trips in Sapa & Time in Hanoi ... By Benno on 13 Feb 2012 3 2820 21 Oct 2012
Recommendations for Hiking in Sapa ? ... By ChrZap1703 on 2 Feb 2009 2 1469 9 Feb 2009
Hotel & Private Guide Recommendations ... By chantelita on 2 May 2010 5 2435 3 May 2010