Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam in November

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I had been thinking about going to Vietnam in November but just realized that much of the coast is in monsoon season then.

My plan was Hanoi - Ha Long - Hue - Hoi An - Nha Trang - Da Lat - Saigon - Mekong Delta. Would this still be worth doing in November or would it be better to revise my itinerary or return to Vietnam early in new year instead if possible?

#1 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 00:00

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

There's always one problem or another with travel. If you wait till early in the year you run into Tet (higher costs and major transport headaches). I say go in November (as late as you can in the month) and just be flexible with your plans. If it's storming, you might head to Sapa instead of the typhoon area. Travel should be an adventure, and not always planned to the n'th degree.

#2 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 09:53

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Would February be better? I was planning Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand - Malaysia but was thinking about it and could do things differently and do Thailand - Laos - Thailand - Cambodia - Vietnam instead. Tet would be done for about a week by the time I got there, would the effects still be around or do they die off pretty quick?

#3 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 00:21

• AnneVu

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Same here. I plan to visit Hanoi and Halong this november or december. Still not find a tour to book. Coz i don't have much time so just hang around in Hanoi in 1 day then travel to Halong. But i was in Hanoi before. Youshouldn't miss Hanoi cuisine. Never been in Halong. So many cruises in Halong and may i will take a Halong bay daily cruise. Just one day and one night then go back to Hanoi. ABout your schedule, i think it's better to go in November. Because this time is travel season so there will have many agencies do the discount. Don't take the cheapest then it's ok :)

#4 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 02:58

• Lila_Kue

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2012

Halong Bay is so nice but i love to travel in Sapa . I saw your intinerary didn't include Sapa, so i suggest you to go there. Trekking in Sapa is my wonderful experience. I love mountainous area. Mai Chau tours is a good choice too. In this time i prefer mountain travel rather than beaches.

#5 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 02:37

• junebug

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2012

We've been wrestling with the same question! Right now our plan is to stick to the north and south and skip over the center, but if suddenly the weather looks good we may change on the fly and swap out the Mekong Delta/HCMC for Hue and Hoi An instead. I see so many mixed reviews on the delta and HCMC but everyone seems to like Hoi An! But I'm afraid it's just not a good time to go. Good luck!

#6 Posted: 19/10/2012 - 06:57

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Weather in November in Hanoi and around is usually lovely - not sit in the sun getting a suntan weather but warm and sunny and not rainy. By February it's generally cold and grey and damp. But as you know, November in the centre of the country (Hue, Hoi An area) is very wet. So depends where you want to focus - you could do south and north and avoid the centre or just go with it and embrace the rain.

#7 Posted: 20/10/2012 - 01:45

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

And Mui Ne has good weather at that time of year I believe, if you want beach time.

#8 Posted: 20/10/2012 - 01:47

• HanhNguyen

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2012

Hi Geer1
    I'm a Vietnamese. I would recommend you to visit Ho Chi Minh City. I'm sure this is a place where you cant forget when coming here.

#9 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 01:08

• SBKM

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2012

Hi all,

I'm going to be heading to Vietnam towards the middle of January, I'm planning to start in the North (Hanoi) and travel down the coast, finally making my way across to Cambodia.

I imagine this trip will take roughly a month - will the weather be ok for this trip or shall I change my route to incorporate Cambodia first and work my way from Southern Vietnam up to Hanoi?

Thanks!

#10 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 11:42

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

January is the end of rainy season in the Da Nang/Hoi An/Hue area and the rest of the coast is already out of it. It will be a cool up north in Hanoi(average high of 20 celcius and average low of 14) but other then that it should be a good and that will be plenty warm if you are from a cold country like mine lol.

#11 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 18:01

• Yue

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2012

Yes January is a best month to go to Vietnam. For my part, I was in Ho chi minh city in August and it was not bad but very warm! If you want to go to Vietnam, you can find some hotel in "check in vietnam" (http://www.checkinvietnam.com/). I found some good and beautiful hotel on this website.

#12 Posted: 12/11/2012 - 07:28

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Difficult one! Hoi An usually is at its wettest in November but this year its been beautiful, the beaches are packed and we are just getting what you could describe as tropical showers, temps in the early 30's.
    January last year was cold (for Vietnam) and it rained pretty much solidly for a month...
    Whatever you decide avoid travelling at Tet, you'll be glad you did.

#13 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 00:46

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

jan-febr in the NORTH though can be pretty miserable-cold (for tropics), storms, overcast and sometimes drizzly rain all day. CAN does not mean WILL.
    If you complain about heat in some tropical city near equator-well, you have to build up more travel-experience.

#14 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 01:24

• samwin

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2012

Hi Geer1,
    It's so pity if you're not in Vietnam right now. It's November and the weather here is so wonderful. Not much rain, not much hot, not much cold, no storm, no flood, and It's specially beautiful in Central Vietnam.
    Jan is a good choice for you to travel Vietnam. It'll be quite cold in North and Central, but still hot in South. Can be raining in Central. Don't miss Sapa in your tour program because you'll have a wonderful experience in trekking in Vietnam. Sapa and Dalat will be mountain travel; Halong, Hoian, Nhatrang will be beach travel; Hue , Hanoi will be heritage travel and Hochiminh city will be modern city travel.
    Have a nice trip!
    Highly recommend Mondial Hotel Hue when you visit Hue city.

#15 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 21:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.